Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Filename or extension too long --- can't delete

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Khirrkee

Khirrkee

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:53 PM

Hi,

I was trying to delete some files that had been copied from the C drive of my Lenovo Flex 2-14 running Windows 8, to an external backup drive. I get an error message saying that Filename or extension too long --- can't delete. I've tried to open those copied files too, but get the same error message.

Has anyone come across this?

Any solutions you can suggest?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,003 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:29 AM

Can you rename the files to something shorter and then delete? Are the files located in subdirectories? Move them to the root of the drive and then try a delete. 

If the above does not work then download and run File Assassin.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/fileassassin/

#3 Khirrkee

Khirrkee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

Thanks, John C-21.

• I'm not able to rename those files, or open them, or copy them.
  • The files are located in sub-directories, but when I attempt to move them to the root of the drive, I get the same error message that the 'file name or extension is too long for the destination'
  • I then downloaded and ran FileAssassin, and same problem --- the file name's too long and it can't be deleted!

#4 Khirrkee

Khirrkee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:59 PM

Problem solved :-)

My teenager suggested that I shorten all the subdirectory names, since I was unable to shorten the actual filename.

Did that and have now been able to delete all those files.

Thanks everyone.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,003 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it sorted out. I believe there is a 256 character limit which includes subdirectory names. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users