Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some questions about Puppy Linux...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:43 PM

Greets everyone,

I've been playing with TahrPup 64 (version 6.0.5) on cd, along with some help from the following tutorial, and had some questions.

How to create a secure multi-session Puppy CD with updatable Firefox browser

As Al1000 predicted in the tutorial, it appears that they've changed a few things, so here goes:

-As far as not closing the disc when burning so it can be updated, in Brasero this means checking the box that

says "Leave the disc open to add other files later", correct? (Current disc is finalized, but I still have the iso file)

-The first step indicates to turn on the firewall in the quick set-up box that appears right after boot. The checkbox

is greyed out, but I was able to activate it by right clicking the firewall icon in the panel at the bottom of the

screen-has anyone else had to do this?

-The tutorial says to open QuickPet, and install BugFixes, but there's no QuickPet icon on the desktop.  There's a

BugFixes icon, which opens a text-box installer, and then QuickPet appears.  Again, anyone else?

-Since Puppy runs as root,  is there anything specific to know about using the terminal or differences from

MInt/Ubuntu?

-Is it normal to have to hold the mouse buttons down to do certain things, such as when right clicking the icons in

the bottom panel to see their menus?

That's as much as I've played with for now, wanted to clarify the above before proceeding.

Thanks in advance :thumbup2:

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:09 PM

Hi, 66Batmobile.

Now then; let's see if I can answer a few of your questions. I'm in Tahr64 myself at the moment, so here goes...

Brasero, I've never used it; most people tend to use Puppy's own pBurn for doing isos, multi-session discs and stuff (you'll find it in the Menu>Multimedia section). pBurn has a tab specifically for doing multi-session discs; several of the 'Puppy' forum veterans run multi-session discs all the time, actually. It's how the majority of people used to run Puppy, in the early days, 10-12 years ago.....and there's an entire forum sub-section dedicated specifically to the multi-session stuff.

The firewall; hmm. It's only recently been upgraded, and a lot of people don't like it, me included! If you uncheck the top 'tick-box', it then allows you to uncheck another one, which in turn allows you to access all the options. Frankly, it's rather cumbersome now, compared to how it was a little while back.

Quickpet, and the 'bugfixes'; yep, that's standard procedure for this 'Pup'. I don't know why Phil did it this way; with the original 32-bit Tahrpup 6.0, back in November 2014, Quickpet was there from the word go. There's been a bit of a sea-change in the way the current Puppy releases have been constructed; lots of changes, and it's taking most folk a while to get used to them!

Puppy as root; oh, yes. Basically, you don't use 'sudo'; Puppy will not recognise it, since the Puppy version of bash doesn't include it.....and this is in spite of many Pups being built on a 'buntu code-base. There's an article by BK himself here, that you might find interesting; most seasoned Linux users seem to be frightened to death by the idea of running as root all the time; (shades of Windows, I guess..!)

http://barryk.org/puppylinux/technical/root.htm

As for holding mouse buttons down to see right-click menus, well; in all honesty, I'm not sure what you mean by that one. You'll need to explain a bit more what you're trying to do. Is it the right-hand 'tray' icons you're referring to?

You'll find the Puppy Linux Forums are a gold-mine of information when it comes to a lot of this kind of thing.....and we're a very friendly bunch! Drop round and see us, at

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php

You'll find all the help you could ever want, as there's still every forum post available that's ever been made since its formation back in 2005.....and we don't make people feel like idiots for asking basic questions, the way some forums do! Seriously, there is a lot of highly useful information there, if you don't mind 'digging' a little.

Hope that helps to clarify matters a wee bit for you, anyway.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 30 May 2016 - 08:27 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:32 PM

@Mike_Walsh

Appreciate the help!

To clarify, currently I'm on my Mint partition, and that's where I downloaded Puppy to, hence Brasero.  I verified the md5sum in Gtkhash, but I can't find a sha256sum anywhere.

About the firewall, I was referring to the quick set-up box that opens when you first boot Puppy, which has the first time language and time/date options.  At left, toward the bottom is a check box to enable the firewall, but it was greyed out.  Clicking the info thing next to it said something like "must be connected to change firewall options".  Like I said, I was able to get it from the bottom panel.

As for the mouse thing, an example would be the icons in the lower right of the bottom panel-if I hover over them it says "right click for menu" but if I click one and release, I can see it open for a split second then close.  If I click and hold the button down, then I can access it.  As far as I know there's nothing wrong with my mouse otherwise.

This is the first time I'm playing with Puppy, so I'm not in a hurry about this.  Just figured I'd check in as I go.

Thanks again.

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:52 PM

No probs. I can't quite figure out why your right-click stuff is behaving like that, but a LiveCD is certainly one of the best ways to find out if your hardware works okay with it. It could be 'live-session' behaviour; it's not often I do that nowadays, since clicking on a downloaded iso in Puppy will mount it; this will allow you to copy'n'paste the iso contents straight to a ready prepared hard-drive or USB partition. Then you just run the Grub4DOS bootloader config tool that comes with every Pup, to update your menu.lst in /mnt/home, reboot, and Puppy's off and running again.

It really is the easiest to use distro I've ever found....and it is so easy to customise, and get it looking just how you want it. Anyroad, I'll catch ya later on; it's 3 am here now, and I'm toddling off to bed any moment now! If you're very good, I might show you my desktops in the next few days; I'm a bit of a graphic design nut, and do all my desktops virtually from scratch. (Hey, if I've got to look at it every day, I want something nice to look at..!)  :lol:

BTW, my siggie is just a sample of the sort of thing I play around with.....

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 31 May 2016 - 04:40 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:48 PM

I was able to spend some more time playing with the live cd today, and I think I've got most of it figured out, just not sure about the firewall.  The first window after booting up is definitely different from the one in the tutorial.  It let me set the language, time and location, but the firewall button is greyed out.  When I finished with that, there was nothing about restarting X either, it just seems to do so when you click OK.

If I right-click and hold on the firewall shield at the bottom of the screen, it will open the settings, and then when I close that window, a little yellow box pops up that ways "firewall starting" and then the sheild icon turns green.  Connecting the WIFI wasn't an issue, but I had to open and close the firewall settings a 2nd time before I could let me actually download updates or open anything in the browser.  It appears to be good from there, but I'd really like to be able to tell if the firewall is operational before connecting.  Is there a possibility that by default all ports are closed both ways until you go into the firewall settings while connected?

Other than that,  the only other question I have now is in regards to the desktop...while playing around with some of the backgrounds, about 1/2 of the images say "File image corrupted", but they work when applied...just bugs?

Please note, if the above sounds like it was written by an idiot...it was :crazy:

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:29 PM

I verified the md5sum in Gtkhash, but I can't find a sha256sum anywhere.

You don't need to do both as long as the MD5 checks out its fine.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#7 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

After some more playing around, and some searching at the Puppy forums from Mike_W's link, apparently the firewall in 6.0.5 intentionally cannot be activated/set up before doing the internet connection...not crazy about that.  Otherwise I like it.  Wonder what the thinking is behind having that be the default... :scratchhead:

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:39 PM

After some more playing around, and some searching at the Puppy forums from Mike_W's link, apparently the firewall in 6.0.5 intentionally cannot be activated/set up before doing the internet connection...not crazy about that.  Otherwise I like it.  Wonder what the thinking is behind having that be the default... :scratchhead:

Hey.

Like I said, with the 'new' generation of Puppy releases (Tahrpup64 6.05 & 'Slacko'64 6.30....the 6-series 'Pups'), there's been a huge number of things changed.....and I'm not alone in taking a while to come to grips with it. The new firewall seems to be almost universally disliked; but at that, I guess it'll 'grow on you' before too long.....especially since the new spins and re-masters this last few months all seem to be including it.

As for the backdrops; personally, I don't tend to use the supplied ones. I always design my own. Have a look here for some proof..... (and the following couple of posts):-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/606812/linux-youve-got-to-love-it/page-6#entry4013363

I always Google for the backgrounds themselves; they've literally got links to millions of 'em. Then I add my 'panels' and text, drag the 'desktop.entry' files from /usr/share/applications to the desktop, and finally tart them up with my own sizeable collection of .png icons that I've built-up over the years.

Works for me; graphic design has always been a passion of mine, ever since since going through art college as a teenager, more years ago than I care to think about..!

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 02 June 2016 - 07:41 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:34 PM

@Mike_Walsh

Not that big a deal...just wish I would have known beforehand...I would have gone right to doing a multi-session disc and enabled the firewall ONCE instead of each time I booted the disc...live and learn. :thumbup2:

I like playing with gimp too-mostly using it as a paint program, but I did use it to make my avatar.  Should probably spend more time with that...

#10 johnmeehan

johnmeehan

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:58 PM

I have played around with Slacko Puppy.  I have since loaded Slackware Linux 14.1 on a tri-boot system (Windows 7, Kali Linux and Slackware) though I am still a Linux novice and eager to learn because it appears, at least to me, that Microsoft will not be happy until they have totally screwed up everyones' computers.

#11 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:05 PM

@johnmeehan

Preaching to the choir on that one... :P

Edited by 66Batmobile, 02 June 2016 - 09:07 PM.

#12 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 838 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:33 AM

.... because it appears, at least to me, that Microsoft will not be happy until they have totally screwed up everyones' computers.

I think it's more that they want to data mine everyone's computer, than to screw it up, but IMO that's just as good a reason to not have Windows on your machine. :wink:

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:47 AM

.... because it appears, at least to me, that Microsoft will not be happy until they have totally screwed up everyones' computers.

I think it's more that they want to data mine everyone's computer, than to screw it up, but IMO that's just as good a reason to not have Windows on your machine. :wink:

Have to agree with you on that one, Gary. Microsoft have finally tumbled to the fact that Windows 'as a service', rather than 'buy once & forget about it'. is the way to go.....and if they can top up the coffers by selling your data on top of that, they're on to a nice little earner. They're having a job getting used to the fact that they're no longer as dominant in the market-place as they once were.

It's the way that all the big internet-based corporations are going these days.....but the way that Microsoft have enabled it, by making it hard to disable all the privacy and 'snooping' features, is a wee bit hard to swallow.

I'm glad I got out of the rat race..!  :P

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 03 June 2016 - 04:49 AM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:54 AM

30b37fa.gif

The topic is Puppy Linux.

Edited by NickAu, 03 June 2016 - 04:55 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#15 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 838 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:11 AM

Zu Befehl, es tut mir leid. :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users