Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attempting to set up an NAS. Totally baffled

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jwilkens

jwilkens

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:33 PM

I have a new Verbatim Powerbay 4 bay NAS Array hard wired to my Verizon Router. I can't seem to be able to configure the drive so it can be seen on my network. Working through the manual doesn't help. There are some specific instructions for XP, 2000, and Vista but nothing for Windows 7. I seem to be getting hung up on the disk configuration page. It won't let me create a new configuration. I get this error message. Oh, I have just one 2TB drive in the enclosure for now. Is that the problem?

Attached File  Powerbay control error.jpg   67.65KB   0 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2016 - 05:35 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwilkens

jwilkens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:40 PM

I have a new Powerbay  4 bay NAS with one 2TB drive installed. I can't figure out how to get it to show as a drive on my home network. I have been through the manual and not quite sure where I am going wrong. I think it is getting hung up on the drive configuration page in the web configuration. When I hit create in the disk configyration: RAID setting screen I get an error message no matter which configuration I choose. Here is a screen shot.

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2016 - 05:42 PM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:36 AM

You need at least two drives to successfully have a RAID configuration. The only RAID configuration that you can do with 2 drives is RAID 0 (stripe) or RAID 1 (mirror). Unless there is a setting in there to JBOD (Just a Bunch of Disks). With a 4 bay you can have RAID 0, RAID 1 (minimum 2 drives) RAID 5 (minimum 3 drives) RAID 6 (minimum 4 drives) RAID 10, or 0+1 (minimum 4 drives). Each configuration has it's advantages and disadvantages.

#4 jwilkens

jwilkens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to just use it in standard  single drive mode for now. It looks like it has that mode. But when I select it I get the error message shown in the screen shot.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:11 PM

The industry should not sell single drive NAS arrays.  Totally irresponsible.  People usually put their only copy of pictures, videos on the nas and if that one drives die they lost everything with no hope of recovery.

That said that message in the screen shot is just telling you, very poorly, that you are configuring a non fault tolerant system [ie the drive dies you lost everything]

What happens when you click on the OK?

#6 jwilkens

jwilkens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:31 PM

When I click OK the dialog box goes away and as far as I can tell nothing else happens. I don't see any controls for formatting the drive and I don't see the drive on my computer. To be fair to the manufacturer, it is a 4 bay NAS enclosure. Almost all the enclosures I found came without any drives loaded. It was me that made the decision to only load one drive - for now.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:27 PM

Most likely once you choose the drive type the system does the rest.  You move on to how it is shared.

#8 jwilkens

jwilkens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:35 AM

Problem is I have no idea how to do that. In advanced settings I added a user. Still can't figure out how to format the drive or even see it in Window. This device seems to be not end user friendly. Requires more IT knowledge than I have.

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:48 AM

Manual appears to be pretty straight forward

http://www.verbatim.com/UserFiles/File/NAS%20Array%20User%20Manual_Final.pdf

Go through the manual from beginning to end step by step. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users