Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old XP machine fails to update AVAST

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tony1011

Tony1011

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:25 PM

Hi and I hope one of you guys can help us out.

I'm trying to fix an old XP PRO SP3 computer for an even OLDER friend.

Yes it is a very old computer but he manages to do everything he wants on it and I fear a new PC will cause him more problems that it's worth.

Just changing an icon on his desktop confuses him so he would probably cry if we have to get a new PC.

Or should I say he USED to do everything he needed on it - BT mail, Word 2003 and a bit of Firefox browsing (that took about 2 months to get him used top it when he had problems with the ancient IE)).

He told me his PC was running very slowly and I asked him to bring it round as I suspected he had some malware.

I initially had problems getting Malwarebytes just to install, I had used this on his PC before but now it would not run or install.

I managed to fix that (a problem with his old hardware and the new Malwarebytes) and the scan came back clean.

So I tried Super Anti Spy Ware and Adwarecleaner - all clean.

Thinking the worst I tried installing TDSSKILLER - it failed to install.

By now the PC was hardly running at all - I noticed that AVAST was using over 80% of the CPU.

Assuming it was doing a scan or update I left it for an hour - still 80%.

I rebooted and the AVAST usage was back to normal, but every so often the same thing happens again.

Then I noticed that his AVAST was out of date, he has the paid version, so I tried to update it.

Even though it last updated in Nov 2015 it keeps saying that it is uptodate - whatever I tried.

I tried repairing it from the control panel / add remove programs - no update.

Downloaded the latest version and tried installing it by hand - that failed.

Uninstalled the existing AVAST and tried installing the new download - fails.

See Avast 1.jpg

Avast installer is unable to continue because the installer is corrupted or is forbidden to run on this machine.

For more information please see the Setup.log file.

Reason: NoSSE2

Tried the free version which also fails to install as does the AVAST clean up utility.

I created a Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 and did a full scan which showed no viruses.

Also tried SFC /SCANNOW and loaded my XP CD when it asked (his ACER did not have a XP CD).

When I tried to run TrendHousecall that also fails, it install and starts scanning then crashes.

I managed to install ESET antivirus and it seems to be working fine but I am concerned that something has screwed up his XP.

The system restore went back to March, but that failed to roll back.

I then walked up the available system restores (about 6) and they ALL failed?

My XP CD was SP1 so I downloaded XP Pro SP3 from the web and tried to do a repair install (in situo?) - keeping all his programs and data?

http://blankrefer.com/?http://dreamsupport.us/downloads/windows-pc/-WindowsXP/Microsoft.Windows.XP.Professional.SP3.FOR-CLIENTS.iso

But I got as far as a screen to reformat the drive or leave it but I could not see the REPAIR option so I ABORTED that.

I now have a PC that seems to work and is free of viruses and malware but I think has a VERY corrupt system.

Ideally I would like to repair it FULLY before giving it back.

BUT HOW?

Is there any logs / information that anyone wants?

Or any other software / fixes I should try?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:37 PM

have you tried to do a disk defrag?

the best option TBH would be to reformat the system and start fresh just backup his icons on his desktop first

if the issue persists after a full reformat then its safe to say it may just need a new HDD assuming a defrag doesn't help

#3 Tony1011

Tony1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:59 PM

Hi TheTripeDeuce

Yes I tried defragging, CHKDSK /F, SFC /SCANNOW and many other “fixes”.

(I was trying to avoid reinstalling the system a he has no idea where his MS Office DVD is or the key.)

The CHKDSK came back fine, but looking through the logs I see that it has run several times of the last few months and sometimes it had loads of errors and problems.

So I copied system to a new HDD and run a repair using the XP Pro SP3 CD.

And still, after all that, the same issues with software failing to install or run.

I just could not understand why some antiviruses worked and others failed to install.

The same problem occurs with several antimalware programs.

But none (of the ones that would run) found ANY infections.

I myself have an old XP Pro SP3 system and everything works fine, including these failing programs.

Then after days of swearing and fiddling with his PC I found this: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=178580.155;wap2

I am increasingly aware that older processors are falling by the wayside.  AVG, Agnitum and now Avast have all released software which apparently require SSE2 instructions.  2016 seems to be a SSE2 watershed for security software releases. 

SORTED.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users