Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So I got a new computer and now I want to prevent what happened to my old one?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EimGhey

EimGhey

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:48 AM

My old one first got infected with browser hijaker then when I googled how to fix it I got that infamous Enigma Software piece and thing went down hill from there...

How do I prevent this next time...?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daydreamed

Daydreamed

• Members
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:04 PM

I suggest reading this for simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe on the internet.

- Daydreamed

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:11 PM

Everything you're looking for can be found in quietman's guide below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/

then when I googled how to fix it I got that infamous Enigma Software piece and thing went down hill from there...

Regarding this, the best advice I can give you is: do not believe everything you see/read on the Internet

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:42 PM

Install Linux Mint 17.3 in a Virtual Box (or boot it from a Live DVD/USB image), browse safely to your heart's content....

Alas (or rather, fortunately!), Enima's software will not work within Mint 17 VM.....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:13 PM

Internet Explorer's protected mode is a feature that makes it more difficult for malicious software to be installed on your computer. Protected mode is turned on by default in the Internet, intranet, and Restricted sites zones and an icon appears on the status bar to let you know that it's running. In addition to warning you when webpages try to install software, Internet Explorer will warn you when webpages try to run certain software programs. You are warned when a software program would run outside of Internet Explorer and outside of protected mode, because that program might have more access to your computer than you prefer. This usually happens when a website is using an add-on to run a software program on your computer. If you are viewing more than one website at a time, check all open websites to be sure you know which one is trying to run the program before granting your permission. If you trust the program and want to allow it to run on any website, select the Do not show me the warning for this program again check box.

You must have UAC set to the default level below or higher to be able to turn on Protected Mode in Internet Explorer.

NOTE: Only in Internet Explorer 8 you will see what security zone you are in at the bottom right in the status bar in, and whether protected mode is turned on or off for that security zone. This is not displayed in IE9, IE10, and IE11.

53634d1265961590-internet-explorer-prote

What is Internet Explorer  Protected Mode and what does it do for me?

SmartScreen Filter is a feature in Internet Explorer that helps detect phishing websites. SmartScreen Filter can also help protect you from downloading or installing malware (malicious software).

SmartScreen Filter helps to protect you in three ways:

• As you browse the web, it analyses webpages and determines if they have any characteristics that might be suspicious. If it finds suspicious webpages, SmartScreen will display a message giving you an opportunity to provide feedback and advising you to proceed with caution.

• SmartScreen Filter checks the sites you visit against a dynamic list of reported phishing sites and malicious software sites. If it finds a match, SmartScreen Filter will show you a warning notifying you that the site has been blocked for your safety.

• SmartScreen Filter checks files that you download from the web against a list of reported malicious software sites and programs known to be unsafe. If it finds a match, SmartScreen Filter will warn you that the download has been blocked for your safety. SmartScreen Filter also checks the files that you download against a list of files that are well known and downloaded by many Internet Explorer users. If the file that you're downloading isn't on that list, SmartScreen Filter will warn you.

How do I turn SmartScreen Filter off or on?
  1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818. In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.

2. Click the Safety button, point to SmartScreen Filter, and then click either Turn Off SmartScreen Filter or Turn On SmartScreen Filter.

3. In the Microsoft‌ SmartScreen Filter dialog box, click OK.

Internet Explorer SmartScreen Filter - Turn On or Off

2GvnEq2.gif

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:51 PM

As a tip, alongside having a good antivirus and anti-malware. Make sure to disable un-necessary plugins in the browser, and make all the others "click to play"/"ask to activate" Also get an adblocker, because a lot of malware these days is distributed through fake adverts (malvertising). Another pair of good things to get are a scriptblocker (noscript is excellent for firefox in this regard) and an anti-exploit program (malwarebytes-anti-exploit is good for this). These sort of defences act as extra layers of defence to protect you from things which antiviruses might not aways notice, that is because antiviruses work by recognising programs that are trying to run and stopping them if they are recognisably malicious. But for newly released malware antiviruses don't yet recognise it, whereas scriptblocking and anti-exploit programs prevent anything from automatically running in ways that can trigger drive-by infections running unless you specifically allow things.

Edited by rp88, 10 June 2016 - 12:52 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users