Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to tell what size SSD I will need for programs and OS only

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:06 AM

Hello. I hope this question isn't too dumb, but I have been thinking of getting an SSD for my OS and programs only, but since I have a lot of programs like for graphics and video editing, I want to make sure I get the right size. I've read that there should be a lot of space left over on the SSD otherwise it will run slow.  I know I could buy a 500 GB and it will be more than enough but the price of the one I want is making me consider the 240 GB one.

If I right click on the Programs folder and the Programs (x86) folder, does that give me a good idea how much space my programs take up? If so, then perhaps they take up about 30 GB. Does that sound correct? Or am I way off?

I have Adobe Creative Suite with Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, also Adobe Premiere, Dreamweaver, Flash, Xara, etc. 

I intend to keep all my files, videos, music, photos, etc., on the HD.

Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated. :)

Thank you in advance!

Cheryl

Running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/cfNOkel7qIxBtPziWBGDyFt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:23 AM

Where are you storing your data, [hopefully] on a separate partition?  If you have one big giant C, go for the 500GB.  If you have separate OS and data partitions, perhaps 256+- is all you will need for some time.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:26 AM

"...I intend to keep all my files, videos, music, photos, etc., on the HD..."

I just now noticed this.  Do you intend to add an SSD, and keep your current HD?  If so, go with 256+-GB SSD, it should be just fine for all your needs.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#4 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:12 PM

Hi Roland,

Yes, I intend to add the SSD to use for my OS and programs only, as I stated above, and to use my current HD to store everything else.

Thank you for your input. I do appreciate hearing from those who know computers much more than I do.

Cheryl

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

I have a 240GB SSD which I use for most everything.  I also have a 500GB HDD that I use for backing up data and extra storage.  With everything I normally use installed I still have 179GB of free space. This works well for my needs.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Giropita

Giropita

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:26 PM

Well for video storing i would not recommend putting them on a ssd because of how small and expensive they are.  I would recommend getting like a 2tb HDD and store videos on there and use the SSD for stuff like After Effects and whatever video editing programs you have. 

#7 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:09 PM

I intend to keep all my files, videos, music, photos, etc., on the HD.  OS and Programs ONLY to go on the SSD, EVERYTHING else on the HD. 

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:31 PM

The difference in price between a 500 gig SSD and a 250 gig SSD is not enough to warrant choosing a smaller drive. I just purchased a 500gig Samsung from Newegg for $160, free shipping. If you are going into graphics and especially video editing seriously, and want to plan for future expansion of programs, additional utilities, etc. you will cramp yourself severely if you start running out of room. Remember that any OS need minimally 10% free drive space or you will start having problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W02DV8166

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:50 PM

@ranchhand

With smaller drives used in years past 15% free space was suggest.  But with SSD with much greater capacity this is not a realistic figure, even 10%.  Even with a 500GB SSD 10% is 50GB.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:54 PM

I intend to keep all my files, videos, music, photos, etc., on the HD.  OS and Programs ONLY to go on the SSD, EVERYTHING else on the HD. 

That's exactly what I do. In both my desktops, I have a Samsung 120GB SSD. The OS, and all programs are installed on the SSD. This includes Adobe Master Suite, MS Office and a few other programs. The SSD has 52GB free. 

Everything else is stored on Internal Seagate 2GB HDD. 

Only my Laptop has a larger SSD, it has a 240GB SSD. 

#11 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

Thank you ranchhand for your input. But the difference between the ones I am looking to buy is $128 for the 240 GB and $190 for the 480 GB. (they have a 10 year warranty and good performance)   That's a big difference for me, financially. And at my age I won't be getting any "more" programs than I already have. What I do now is mostly for my own pleasure and very little for freelance. Nothing professional. 

Thanks everyone :)

#12 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:09 PM

Thank you Ranger. From what you say it sounds as though I'll be more then fine with a 240 GB SSD for my OS and programs. All the rest will continue to live on my 2 TB hard drive. :) 

I feel like a ping pong ball, going back and forth in trying to make the "right" decision. :) But thank you to everyone!

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:11 PM

whatdoyoumean "at my age" -- judging from your avatar, you'll be young and joyful for decades to come!  Me and MickJ are looking like prunes these days.

Concerning your SSD choice -- go for it!  You can always upgrade later if you need to.

Edited by RolandJS, 30 May 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#14 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:29 PM

LOL Roland. That photo of mine is about 7 years old... I know... still not "old" but at 63 and working 2 part time jobs, I don't expect to be getting any new large programs. I am happy with all that I have now and can't afford more anyway. The size of the SSD for me to buy is something I have been struggling to decide on for months now. But my pc is nearly brand new and runs like a dream anyway. :)

Cheryl

#15 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:13 AM

@DC3.....I am not sure exactly what point you are making, but you might enjoy this analysis:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6489/playing-with-op

Note paragraph 5 (per my post #8 above).

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users