Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 repair tool isn't helping, system does not boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Segi_PL

Segi_PL

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

At the beginning I'd like to say hello to everyone as I am new to this community.

I have similiar problem to the one described in this post.

The PC belongs to my client; it's a desktop. HDD is very hot while working, however HD Tune did not show any signs of failure.

The system will not boot, I can't even run the system in safe mode. System Repair cannot remove the problem.

I wouldn't want to reinstall client's PC and if there's a chance to solve the problem - would be great.

In advance, thanks for help.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 May 2016 - 07:56 AM.
deleted FRST log, which is allowed only in Malware Removal Logs forum. If malware is suspected you will be directed to that forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:21 AM

"...it's a desktop. HDD is very hot while working..."

What is the environment where the desktop is located?  Is the desktop "smothered" in a cabinet?  Is the end-user's room non air-conditioned or without any fan circulating the air?  Does the desktop need a good dust-cleaning inside and outside?  After ensuring a proper grounding, perhaps carefully reseat everything, making sure contacts are "freshened."

Edited by RolandJS, 30 May 2016 - 09:24 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Segi_PL

Segi_PL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:25 AM

PC is located in office with air conditioning. I have cleaned it, there is no reason for the HDD to overheat. Case is spacy.

Edited by Segi_PL, 30 May 2016 - 09:36 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

Hot hard drives are usually failing hard drives - no matter what the tests may say.
I've seen failing hard drives with good SMART attributes and that have passed the manufacturer's diagnostics.

Replace it with a known good drive and test it that way.  You can test with a temporary install of Windows - it doesn't even have to be activated as you'll be finished testing before activation becomes an issue.
If it works with the known good drive - then the old drive is the problem.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Segi_PL

Segi_PL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:07 AM

Thanks guys for the opinions. I also agree that this HDD is dying.

I will replace it with SDD for the system and new HDD for the storage.

Nevertheless, I'd like to make current OS functional and make an image of it and then copy it to new SDD. Can you help me with this task? Any ideas?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:04 AM

1)  Let the hard drive cool down (don't try the refridgerator trick just yet, it can damage the hard drive).

2)  Prepare all the tools needed to do the clone in advance (the point being that you want to limit the time that the dying hard drive is connected/spinning - so it won't heat up).

3)  Clone with the software that comes with the SSD.  If it didn't come with the SSD, most SSD manufacturer's have a download section on their website that includes the cloning software.

4)  I would discourage attaching the dying hard drive as a storage device.  Dying hard drives cause system problems, and can even make the system non-bootable (even if they aren't boot drives)

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Segi_PL

Segi_PL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:10 AM

I'm using Paragon for cloning, so no worries about the software. Both SDD and HDD are brand new units, old one will be utilised.

You suggest to do the cloning first and then try to revive the system? Fine by me, but still, I need advice in the latter matter. How you suggest I should make it bootable again?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:26 AM

As the old HDD is presumed to be dying, it's critical to get the clone done BEFORE it impacts the OS installed on it.

BUT, you don't know what damage has been done yet, so you'll have to deal with any errors after you do the clone.

The clone process will make the SSD bootable.  A clone is a bit for bit copy of each sector to the appropriate sector on the replacement drive.

I've done it with a number of different tools at work - but haven't tried the Paragon tool yet.

#9 Segi_PL

Segi_PL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:27 AM

Thanks, I'll do the cloning tommorow and get back with feedback.

#10 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:39 AM

If I may jump in, I used Paragon before and cloned my old HDD to a newer one (both 500GB). I just did a drive-to-drive copy without changing any setting, using Paragon Copy Hard Disk Wizard in Vista. Then I shut down PC, disconnected the old HDD and restarted. It worked flawless.

Edited by devilus, 31 May 2016 - 12:11 PM.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#11 Segi_PL

Segi_PL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:38 AM

Hi again.

I am afraid above didn't help. As I ran out of time, I had to reinstal everything from scratch; had to return the PC yesterday to the client.

Fortunatelly I've been able to recover all important data from the failing disk.

Thanks for advices. Have a nice day/night ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users