Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DVD burner acting oddly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Theral

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

I think this is the right forum -

I'm running windows 8.1, have not updated or changed anything.

DVD drive just says it's a Slimtype DVD A, and the computer model is an Asus K55A

My dvd burner has recently gotten a mind of its own:

The drive never shows in my computer if it's empty. If I want to burn I HAVE to insert the DVD and let it load BEFORE I open the program to burn, or it won't recognize there's a disc in it.

Sometimes that takes quite a few tries.

And, apparently, last night it decided it's no longer going to burn Audio CDs. I burned one a couple days ago where track #6 takes half a minute to start and has static, and any song after #8 is staticy as hell. And now it will not burn; it runs through the whole cycle and says its burning, but the CD remains empty, even after it 'finalizes' and pops out. I've tried using both Ashampoo and CDBurnerXP and they'll go through the whole cycle, say it was successful, but nothin'.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,148 posts
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:24 PM

In Folder Options in the Control Panel there is an option to hide removable drives.  
My Windows 8.1 was set this way as a default.

Check to see if this option has bee set.

Open the Device Manager and scroll down to DVD/CD-Rom drives.

Click on the diamond to expand the tree.

Double click on your optical drive.

Click on Driver and uninstall the driver.

Restart your computer.  When you do this a new driver will be installed.

Edited by dc3, 30 May 2016 - 02:37 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,637 posts
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:39 PM

The faults on the CD burns are an indication of a dirty or failing drive.  Try a cleaner disk, if that doesn't resolve the issue, the drive will need replacement.  They are pretty cheap these days, around $20. USD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users