Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to stop spyware accessing my mailbox

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 semerca

semerca

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:02 AM

Hello, this is my first time on any forum and I would welcome help on a problem that has been driving me to distraction for the best part of a year now.

I periodically receive a batch of about 100 "undeliverable" notifications in my inbox for emails sent from my address which do not appear in my sent items. These are sent to people who are not necessarily in my contacts list but who may have been copyees on incoming mail. They are rejected either by aggressive spam filtering at the recipient's server or because the malware gets creative and invents variants on the recipients' e-mails (.com instead of .fr etc.). (If 100 were corrupted and came back - how many hundreds went through?).

I can solve these problems with Adwarecleaner (only Adwarecleaner finds them despite the fact that I run Bitdefender and Superantispayware daily and other free tools periodically).

My problem is that nothing seems to guard against this stuff: I only know that the problem is there after hundreds if not thousands of spam mails have been sent in my name (and then I use Adwarecleaner to get rid of it until the next infection).

What Adwarecleaner has eliminated several times is "Monitor.exe" smuggled in by Sunplus Innovation Technology (that I never knowingly installed); Monitor then hides in User subfolders. Also, Adwarecleaner finds and deletes registry keys which terminate in "\..softonic.com" - not a site I knowingly visited.

Thus, my question is: what kind of protection could I use that would stop these changes and installations being made on my computers (one Precision Workstation, one Lenovo Laptop; both 64bit Windows 10).

PS: I have changed e-mail passwords twice and reformatted the HDs of the workstation once. The Laptop got the monitor.exe bug and the Workstation got the Softonic registry keys after the reinstallation of Window 10.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 May 2016 - 11:27 AM.
moved from Malware Removal Logs to General Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:49 AM

Understanding Undeliverable Emails
How do spammers send email that looks like it comes from me?
Someone’s (spammers) sending from my email address! How do I stop them?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users