Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An observation...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:50 AM

Morning, everybody.

I must admit to being curious. I've belonged to a number of Linux forums over the last few years, and the one over-riding feature that I've noticed (as well as on many how-to websites) is that almost everything is written for Ubuntu, or its derivatives.

Doesn't anybody use systems that are not 'buntu-based? I started off with it a couple of years ago, when XP went EOL; but within just a few months, my 'big rig' (a 2004 Compaq Presario desktop.....genuine Compaq, not an HP 'namesake'; therefore very good quality) started freezing up at the slightest provocation, and the screen would always go black, or freeze into interesting multi-coloured patterns; largely due to the 3D requirements of the Unity desktop. I tried some of the lighter versions, and the graphics problems remained.

So I switched to Puppy Linux.....and the hardware problems quit, just like that.

Unfortunately, Mark Shuttleworth has decided he wants to be the Bill Gates of the Linux world, and Canonical is steadily dropping support for older hardware.....the one thing that has always been the mainstay of the Linux 'ethos'.

What are other people's thoughts on this?

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:05 AM

Hi Mike,

I have Debian installed on my computer, but rarely use it as I also have Kubuntu on the same computer.

I also have an old laptop (Packard Bell Easynote E6307) which won't run any *buntu 14.04 distros, or Ubuntu 12.04, although I used to use Kubuntu 12.04 on it which worked fine. A while ago I replaced Kubuntu 12.04 with LXLE and plan to stick with it for as long as it's supported (to April 2017 IIRC).

LXLE is specifically designed for older hardware. If the number of people with older hardware increases, relatively speaking, then due to the law of supply and demand I would expect to see more distros like LXLE.

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:02 AM

Hi, Al.

Mm. Y'see, one of the main reasons I think I needed a lower-demand OS was that my system is AMD-based, and the single PCI-e slot has damaged pins, therefore can't run a separate graphics card. So I'm stuck using the onboard ATI Xpress200G card.....which is not a hardship, as it still produces pin-sharp pictures; and for my graphics hobby, working with still images, this is fine.

It seems, however, that AMD graphics support has always been somewhat 'patchy' in the 'buntus. They appear to have the Intel end of things nicely covered, and after that.....oh, hell; we can't be bothered!

Perhaps an oversimplification. My old Compaq has got a good enough spec to happily run recent versions of Windows, after some serious upgrading over the last year or so.....but I'm hanged if I'm giving MS any more of my hard-earned dosh. Besides, I don't like Windows any more; after XP it all just started heading downhill, as far as I'm concerned.....and that's really all there is to it.

I guess the Distrowatch rankings must have something to do with it, although all that measures, TBH, is numbers of visitors to the site's various pages. It's not a very good indicator of usage at all, to my mind...  :P

As for supply & demand, yes, I agree with you; but in this throw-away society we now inhabit, how many people really hang onto older hardware for the length of time that many Linux users do.....themselves a relatively tiny percentage of the user-base?

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 30 May 2016 - 08:05 AM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:12 AM

As for supply & demand, yes, I agree with you; but in this throw-away society we now inhabit, how many people really hang onto older hardware for the length of time that many Linux users do.....themselves a relatively tiny percentage of the user-base?

Enough for LXLE to exist. :)

Windows users may not have much use for old hardware, but as we know lightweight Linux systems run on it just fine.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

There are non Ubuntu based distros out there? :hysterical:

At home we only have new PC's so its Ubuntu on all the PC's,

I do some work at a local private school and migrated them to Puppy ( Thar Pup ) booting from 30 GiB USB, The computers have no HDD the kid plugs in their USB stick and boots the PC. The kids love it.

The school has no money like all schools and couldn't afford to upgrade computers operating systems office ETC, so we tried it as an experiment and the rest as they say is history.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:01 PM

There are non Ubuntu based distros out there? :hysterical:

At home we only have new PC's so its Ubuntu on all the PC's,

I do some work at a local private school and migrated them to Puppy ( Thar Pup ) booting from 30 GiB USB, The computers have no HDD the kid plugs in their USB stick and boots the PC. The kids love it.

The school has no money like all schools and couldn't afford to upgrade computers operating systems office ETC, so we tried it as an experiment and the rest as they say is history.

^^^ Nice one! Puppy to the rescue, yet again..... Astounding how versatile it is!

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 803 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:42 AM

Good thing about Puppy is it's a small download as well. For that reason I've often advised people to use it to recover "lost" files on their Windows computers.

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:31 AM

Hi Mike - I run 22 (or is it 24? I forget) Linux Distros spread over 3 computers and a bootable external HDD.  About once a fortnight I try a new one, fully installed. Usually after a Live trial.

They are from the Families - Debian, RPM, Gentoo and Arch. More will follow, including (woof woof) Puppy.

There is not a Distro in my household that does not have something I like about it, else it would be blown away. And there is no Windows in our house except for an Asus with a recalcitrant motherboard I have yet to crack so that I can put 2 TB of Linux on it, lol.

IMO there is no one Distro to rule them all (quick, get a syringe full of adrenalin and plunge it into NickAu, lol).

It is my hope that you will find this Forum to be egalitarian about such things.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,897 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:57 AM

IMO there is no one Distro to rule them all (quick, get a syringe full of adrenalin and plunge it into NickAu, lol).

hand_using_syringe_lg_clr.gif

Now repeat after me, " Ubuntu one distro that rules them all " 

Edited by NickAu, 31 May 2016 - 03:59 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users