Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I use Windows CHKDSK on a MacBook HDD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 leachim

leachim

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:17 AM

Suspect disk corruption on a MacBook Pro

Can I plug the HDD in via USB to a Windows machine and do CHKDSK

I also have an iPad

The Macbook will not boot - Apple logo comes up - line goes across - then repeats again and again

Tried holding ALT on startup - The symbol of the HDD comes up but NOT the RECOVERY Section icon

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:53 AM

Nope. The drive formats for a Mac and Windows HDD are different.

You need to use the Mac OS' Disk Utility (or some third party program such as TechTool Pro or DiskWsrrior) to run a check.

What model year is the Mac? What version of the Mac OS are you running? More current versions of the Mac OS (Lion or newer) would have the recovery partition. And newer Mac will also Internet recovery. So, if it is an older Mac running a newer version of the Mac OS and the drive is corrupted, then you would need to use the recovery disc or USB drive that came with the Mac to boot from and then run Disk Utility from that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users