Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Security Update Fails Over And Over Again

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Moosje

Moosje

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:44 AM

Hi, let me explain my problem as the following:

I have a strange update problem. I manually choose to update my windows and get the following. 10 out of 11 updates were performed, but there was on which failed.

Posted Image

this one wasnt performed. It exited with an error in the UPDATE.EXE. I did a hijack this log analysis.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 14:38:34, on 9/08/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Bobken\Bureaublad\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Koppelingen
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe

Can anyone tell which are the strange ones in here (if there are any)...

Thanks in advance. I tried to do a search, but couldn't find anything specific related to my problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:13 PM

Hello Moosje and welcome to the BC HijackThis forum. There isn't alot running on this machine (not even an anti-virus or firewall) and I see no signs of viruses or malware in the log. It is clean.

The 899591 update deals with Remote Desktop. If you use Remote Desktop and have the service running then something you could try is to download the update manually and install it. If that still doesn't work then try posting a topic in the XP forum and have them do a little more in-depth analysis to see what might be preventing the update from installing.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users