Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS Failure Driving Me Nuts!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Technovore

Technovore

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:53 AM

Hey Everyone I am trying to troubleshoot an issue I have been having for about 8 months and it is driving me insane. It started out only affecting one device and now it is network wide. Basically it started out as a DNS issue with only one of the phones on my network, my AT&T Note 4, would have no internet access after not being used for more than an hour. It would be connected to wifi and have full access to all local network resources, but whenever anything would try to go out to the WAN side of the network I would get "DNS probe finished - No internet". I have quite a lot of experience networking and troubleshooting various computer issues but this one has confounded me.

Now It is happening on ALL devices, wifi and ethernet, and half of the time it will not fail completely but take forever to resolve any WAN side addresses. If I am on my phone I wind up getting pissed and just turning off wifi and using the LTE (Which works flawlessly). I have tried manually specifying different DNS servers on both the router and the devices themselves. I've used Comcast's, Google's and OpenDNS' servers all to no avail. I have a Comcast connection and a Netgear C6300 802.11AC gateway. I have hard reset the gateway and done fresh hard resets on phones and formatted/clean installed windows 7 & 10, Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04... Nothing is working. Now even the TV's are having issues trying to stream Netflix. It seems like the internet connection will just stall randomly every 10-15min. I run Kodi with a shared MySQL library that points to a samba share on my server, THAT works perfectly all the time.

Comcast is no help at all, their agents have the IQ of a potato and down't know anything about networking. They are just salesmen that try to blame your equipment and get you to buy more services from them.

The only device that doesn't seem to be affected is my main computer (which is the only device on gigabit), even my little Linux server on 10/100 stalls on WAN connections sometimes. Just not as badly as the wireless devices. I have everything on reserved IP's by their MAC addresses, I'm still using the DHCP built into the Network gateway.

Has anyone ever run into this or possibly have any ideas what is causing it? I have considered plugging in another router and connecting to the wifi on that, however I'm not holding my breath since I have a combined gateway and a secondary router is still going to have to run through my Netgear to get to the internet.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

~Dylan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:24 PM

connect directly to the Comcast modem.  Do you have the same issues? if not replace the router.

#3 Technovore

Technovore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:33 PM

It's a gateway, router and modem combo. The weird thing is that if I use OpenVPN and connect to my server then all my wireless devices run perfectly with no delay at all. I have done a ton of digging into this issue and I have found out that apparently Comcast is hijacking all traffic on port 53 and redirecting it to their own DNS servers. I am in the middle of running a sniffing agent to try and prove that's the issue (and confirm it for myself) because if that truly is the case then Comcast and I are going to have words...

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:30 PM

Wasting your time.  Have had Comcast for years and they are not hijacking your dns.  You can set whatever dns server you want with Comcast.

might want to consider your own modem and gateway so you don't pay the rent on the gateway and you have more troubleshooting control.

#5 steewsc

steewsc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:21 PM

Hi guys, 
I'm having the same issue as @Technovore. Did you solve it somehow? 
My setup is:
Cisco EPC3928S <-> Asus AC1200G+ <-> Laptop,Mob. via Wifi&Lan

Thank You

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users