Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rearranging Dual Boot system

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 timmeh2

timmeh2

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:43 PM

Feel free to move to more appropriate section if required, this one looked the most likely.

As the title implies, I have a dual boot system that I want to alter somewhat.

The original 150HDD has: part.1 System Reserved 63.7MB free of 99.9(for W7 I believe)

part.2 W 7 53.9GB free of 84.5(clean install by tech not familiar with Vista/W10 to get running)

part.3 W Vista 23GB free of 64.3

Second 500GB HDD has: part.1 W10 297GB free of 318

part.2 Recovery Part. 450MB

part.3 146GB empty

Ultimate goal is to have two copies each of Vista and W10, one for online, one for observation/experimentation/recovery.

Not necessary to retain W7 as it is essentially an illegitimate copy. Would be good though.

I'm not sure if, when installing W10 there was another Sys. res. created that I can't see, or whether it uses the existing one.

There's a long story behind the shemozzle, looking to tidy things up a bit.

So I guess the question is "does W10 use that Sys. Res. partition, and if I have to remove W7, will everything else still function?

Have a few ideas in my head on which way to go, bearing in mind i'm NO WHIZZ at this, probably fairly obvious, but it was me that installed 2nd HDD, set up partitions and loaded Vista/W10.

Where does this goBANG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:51 AM

Ultimate goal is to have two copies each of Vista and W10, one for online, one for observation/experimentation/recovery.

Not necessary to retain W7 as it is essentially an illegitimate copy. Would be good though.

If your Win 7 install is illegal...and you used that Win 7 install as the means to upgrade to Win 10 (since there is no upgrade path from Vista to Win 10)...then you seem to have an illegal install of Win 10.

Per the BC Forum Rules:  "No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Louis

#3 timmeh2

timmeh2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:32 AM

I purchased Vista with the machine in '08, also purchased W10 software last year after repeated problems resetting Vista OS. Had some problems initially getting W10 up and running.

Had to get a call out tech. He loaded W7 because he new even less about Vista/W10 than I did apparently. Personally, I think the idea was that if something went wrong i'd have to call him again, because I don't have W7 disc.

Only needed it to get online long enough to get Vista and W10 operational, which I've achieved, so if I lose it it's not a huge loss. Unless it mucks up the rest of the system, then i'd be really cheesed.

That's really what i'm trying to find out. Will wiping W7 affect everything else?(I know it won't hurt Vista, but will it affect W10)

Short version of long story:

Purchased machine/Vista 2008.

Crashed 2009 due to my lack of knowledge. Format/reinstall Vista.

Tonkin' along nicely 'till 2015....   Crashed. Format/reinstall Vista, all updated.

One month later...   Crashed again.

Purchased W10 software. Format/install W10. Can't get online.

Format/install Vista. Stuck at SP2.

Call tech. He formats/installs W7. Gets online connectivity.

I purchase second HDD and install W10 on that, solve connectivity issue using W7 for online access.

Partition original HDD, install Vista, all updated.

Haven't removed it in case I muck everything up. Haven't even fired it up in probably 6 mnths. Like the chess game on it.

Wasn't really enamoured with it as an OS.

If there is a legal issue, I didn't do it. I did question it at the time. He said it would be OK.

His software, his product key.

Edited by timmeh2, 30 May 2016 - 10:27 AM.

Where does this goBANG

#4 timmeh2

timmeh2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:12 AM

There you go, deleted W7. Now having endless problems in both W10 and Vista. Thats why i left as it was, up 'til now.

Where does this goBANG

#5 timmeh2

timmeh2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:20 PM

Now stabilised.

Am I able to remove "system reserved" partition (W7) without affecting the rest of the system?

Does Vista rely on that partition?

Does W10 rely on that partition?

"If your Win 7 install is illegal...and you used that Win 7 install as the means to upgrade to Win 10 (since there is no upgrade path from Vista to Win 10)...then you seem to have an illegal install of Win 10."

Having had time to ponder, i'm somewhat confused by this statement.

If I had used W7 to upgrade to W10, I would have W10 and no W7(only the option to go back), yes?

Perhaps I should have headlined with "Multiboot" as opposed to "Dual boot"?

Edited by timmeh2, 29 June 2016 - 08:56 PM.

Where does this goBANG

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:02 AM

I would have killed the vista as its EOL is next year

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.