Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Build & Budget Rules:

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:50 PM

My Computer Build & Budget Rules:

1.  Not Gaming.  Wall Street Trading and News Network Watches

2.  Save money any way possible.  Ebay or Craigslist deals are #1 shopping stop.

3.  6 Monitors with options for 12 Monitors later.  No clone displays.  This is for individual Trading Charts and News Streams.

4.  Aesthetics is not a philosophy I'm considering at this phase.  I do not care what computers look like only that they accomplish            my goals.  

5.  CHEAP!  Chopin' n' hardware shoppin' is an art.  That's the show off:  gold for brass.  If they don't want our brass, I don't need              their gold.  

STRATEGY:

• There are lots of people that are selling great things out there.  They fancied powerful computers, for example, and they forgot to make and save money to live, so they pile onto internet pawnshops like Craigslist and Ebay with their computer builds.  That's in order to pay their bills rather than pay their builds any more.  
  • They don't make money with their systems.  I make money with my computer system in Wall St and the Chicago CME and CBOE.  But I want cheap.  Don't forget that no one ever became rich by paying more than they had to for anything.  With the shape the economy is going, this is not a bad plan.  
  • I will go through the universe of hardware sellers giving them my bids which will be for less than they are asking.  The ones that bite I will bargain with that list to negotiate an even lower price.  Whoever is left in the discussion with me I will buy from.
  • That's how I sort out who need my money most.  There's no sign on the sellers that say who is who, so I have to stick my toes in the water to check warm or cold.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:54 PM

So just post suggestions, and call it like you see it.  If it's weak, or there's better or cheaper, add that.  

I'm semi new to building.  I ran through some basics and a build with the forum admin here, but it bill was too high at $1,000.  I swear that $600.

#3 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:08 PM

3.  6 Monitors with options for 12 Monitors later.  No clone displays.  This is for individual Trading Charts and News Streams.

this is going to kill your budget as you'll need at least 2 video cards potentially 4 to accomplish this if your looking for a different view per screen

also you don't say wether or not you already have the monitors

Edited by TheTripleDeuce, 29 May 2016 - 08:11 PM.

#4 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:14 PM

This may not be relevant, but l managed to connect an IPS monitor to my 2.x GHz Core 2 Duo laptop with integrated graphics, and thereby got a second workspace. I wasn't taxing the graphics, and it seems like the OP isn't either (unless the browsers on each screen are laden with scripts?), l mean, he's not rendering a 3D shoot em up. So my question is, is there a way to cluster 3 cheapo Core2Duo laptops and also throw in 3 cheapo TFT screens?

#5 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:19 PM

it sounds like he is looking for one device to run 6-12 screens so I imagine hes not looking to have 3 keyboards, 3 trackpads to have to worry about (it would be ideally cheap to run that setup though) the budget killer is the "with a option to 12 screens later on" even the very basic gpu could run at most 3 outputs to my knowledge so hed need a motherboard capable of 4 video cards (which they aren't cheap)

factor in

$50 per gpu at 3 outputs per gpu in future (that's $200 just for gpu's)

motherboard for approximately $200 (maybe $150)

cpu for maybe $150-$200

there's the budget gone and you still need a psu, hard drive, case, ram (given those can be cheap or ever free in some cases, the psu depends on which gpu's you will be running and the hard drive can just be a basic hard drive assuming you do most of your work online and not on the pc itself, ram also varies on how intensive the screens will be)

id allocate atleast 800 assuming you already have the monitors and keyboard and mouse

Edited by TheTripleDeuce, 29 May 2016 - 08:29 PM.

#6 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:06 PM

Not to be a blockhead, but we're hunting hardware on Craigslist in San Diego, CA, so assuming that we have to believe the hardware prices will be much, much lower than what is being suggested already in the thread.  And I'm not buying anything for what sellers are asking in their classified ads.  I'm going to lowball them all, and see what I get for as cheap as possible. 

I'm the Craigslist Hunter, and you are the Cyber Tribe Chiefs on this thread, so you arm me with what I should go hunt on Craigslist for, and I come back with the Craigslist classified ads that match the specs I was given to look for.  

Then I'll email the sellers my offers for the hardware after we agree that's the right kind of part for the trader build.  I will go through all of their ads with my "grocery/hunting list" looking for the parts by their specifications.  Once a seller and I come to an agreement on price, I'll post that purchased product's price, specs and pictures.  

I think I start with a CPU, Mainboard, or GPU Card.  I don't know for sure which to narrow down first, but I think it has to be the Graphics Card.  I'd go with a 6x DisplayPort Eyefinity Graphics Card for $150 or cheaper used unless I can find a better or cheaper solution to the graphics card demand on my trader system. 

With that out of the way, what part is most crucial to start with?  Haha, thanks.  I'm sort of blind folded in the woods here.  I know a little about this though.  It's just capacity spec ranges and compatibility specs that I don't know the first thing about.  

#7 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:46 PM

To make sure I don't discourage any participation in this thread I'll add the fact this of course this is going to be a lesson thread for people in the future.  

I've noticed over the years that there is very little about building trading systems for cheap or even extravagantly for that matter.  My industry of occupation needs people to add data to the internet searches to support the new, up and coming talent, and in this case the new talent on the tightest budget possible.  

The economy is tight, and people looking for work online would be looking into trading, and they need a good, multi-display trading system.  I have to assume this threat will show up in the google search given its rarity and significance to an entire whole industry.  

Typically traders wind up spending thousands of dollars on trading systems, but not all people need to spend that much money to prove they can work adequately in the stock market and other trading markets.  

Trading-Computers_MP_zpsktgcqbgq.jpg

Edited by F-1DeskLamp, 29 May 2016 - 11:47 PM.

#8 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:59 AM

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-AR/

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-AR/specifications/

spNxSXncufhyqR4V_setting_fff_1_90_end_50

Guy is selling one of these, and says he'll negotiate on the $100 price.  Never used, and only opened it to see if it worked with his CPU.  It didn't, so he is using other mainboard.  I'd offer $50.  The problem with this is that I have to find a really good deal on an Intel CPU when AMD CPU deals are easier to get.  

Is this board ideal for 6-12 monitors with an Eyefinity 6 pro G. Card or two?  

#9 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:17 AM

BTW, how do I check to see if a seller has ruined hardware?  Are any ways?  

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:10 PM

You asked same thing about GPU's and situation is still same http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612694/what-is-the-minimum-hardware-capacity-for-3-monitors/?p=3991393

So start with GPU's as other parts are not so important.

#11 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

I know where I started, and I know it went nowhere.  I'm trying to start an educational thread after being suggested to do so by one of the mods for the forum, and those other threads failed.  I requested them to be deleted.  

It's intriguing that so many people in the computer world claim to be able to build computers, but only 2 I've encountered so far have ever heard of the Eyefinity 6 DisplayPort Graphics Cards.  

#12 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:36 PM

PLEASE ANSWER THE FOLLOWING:  

1. What specifically determines that a Graphics Card is compatible with a Motherboard or is not compatible?  Is it physical or is it based on software programming?  
  2. What specifically determines whether a CPU is or isn't compatible with a Motherboard?  Is it physical or is it based on software programming?  
  3. What specifically determines whether a RAM stick is or isn't compatible with a Motherboard and a Graphics Card?  
  4. Are all motherboards with slots for Graphics Cards made for bridging multiple Graphics Cards?  Are some made better for this application, and which ones have the specific built in parameters for improved Graphics Card bridging.  

If we can narrow this down on this thread, that would not only be a lot of help to me but to anyone thereafter.  There literally is no information about this.  I've searched for weeks, and I've asked the same thing of many supposed computer gurus.  

If this thread turns out alright, I will use this particular thread as a teaching device for up and coming people in my field of occupation.  I think it would be particularly interesting to unite your field of occupation with my investing/trading field of occupation.  Anywhere and way we can make the economy more efficient is something I'm a staunch advocate for.  I've owned a few businesses in my life, have been military leadership and excellence concourses, and I'm becoming in the way of political activists while I'm developing my current Wall St. trading business, so I'm so into work, leadership, and economic efficiencies that I probably come off borish to a lot of people on line.  Where things are tough people depend on me for that exact character trait.  I just say, no one likes looking at the wolf spider until there are too many bugs in the house.   

Thanks

#13 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

It's awfully interesting that I can go to auto mechanic forums, arborist climber forums, gun shooters forums, and youtube, and I can find people that know all of the rudimentary basics or fundamental basics of their professions and areas of interest in all aspects.  I've learned from guys like that for the past 10 years.  Even as a baseball player royalling my life and regiment for induction into the minor leagues I could find countless baseball mechanics willing to define every rudimentary aspect of baseball whether it was physical mechanics and strategic performance.  

I've always been in this guys' club corridor of life, and when I found out it was a big thing online in the chat forums, I was like a fish in the water making my way ahead in my life pursuits.  I can't seem to find much of that in the computer forums.  

Like for instance, what is this:  Intel® LGA 1151 Socket?  That is the spec I find on an ASUS motherboard I'm looking at.  Does that mean that there is only one single tiny kind of CPU that will fit that socket?  I noticed Intel has a lot of socket types.  1150, 1151, 1155...........  Why the tiny differences, and are there some that are backwards compatible as in can work with other socket types, or is there only one special CPU that will fit that particular socket type?  

I suspect that not only can no one actually explain to me what the answer is, but no one in this industry can explain it to anyone.  I just don't think this is a man's industry where men have the ability to foster new journey men in the lifelong vocations like in other industries.  How fair is that assessment?  

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:32 PM

"...what part is most crucial to start with?..."

Lemmie answer that:  2 usb 1TB-2TB external platter-driven hard-drives and something like Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image or Image for Windows, and a plan to routinely [weekly to bi-monthly] make OS and data partition backups, that is what is crucial for your setup to be.  I almost can guarantee you will have to do an OS partition restore from time to time -- because...well, OS operations will never be perfect all the time.

Edited by RolandJS, 30 May 2016 - 06:35 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#15 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

Not perfect why?  Because of hackers or code bugs and hardware errors in general?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users