Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard from an HP h8-1100z

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Amysspmn

Amysspmn

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:43 PM

Hello,
I am desperate for your help. My motherboard died and I very much want to replace it. I don't have money to purchase a new system. Can you please suggest a motherboard that would be compatible with this system. These are my system spechs:
HP h8-1100z hpe
Gigabyte M3970AM-HP (Angelica)
UATX 24.4cm X 24.4cm
AM 970 chips
AMD FX1600 95W processor
6GB PC3 10600 memory
1GB AMD Radeon HD, 6480 DVI, HDMI VGA Adapters
Socket type AM3B, TDP up to 125W
Supports Zambezi FX6100,FX4100,FX8100,FX8120 and FX8150
Dual channel memory
Unified Media Interface, 4 lanes
Four 240 pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
Non ECC memory only up to 16GB
PCI express X 16 graphics card
No integrated graphics
One PCI EXPRESS X 16 2ND GEN
ONE PCI EXPRESS X 1 2ND GEN
PORTS: 4 USB 3.0
Black Beard Hpe 2x usb 3.0 top 1/O +2
300W UATX power supply
1 TB 7200 RPM
SATA 3 GB

I hope that is everything. I can't express how much I would appreciate you advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:48 PM

Please run speccy so that we can get more details about your system.

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.pngbutton.
  • Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You might be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply open it and follow the prompts until installation is complete.
  • If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all > Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    speccy.png
  • Now, in the menu bar at the top left, click File Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    publish.png
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    link.png
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, scroll down to the bottom of the page to the "Reply to this topic" section. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click the Postbutton below the Reply box.
  •  

Edited by Captain_Chicken, 29 May 2016 - 06:48 PM.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:13 PM

I would suggest the portable version, as the installer often includes bundled software that you may or may not need.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 Amysspmn

Amysspmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:16 PM

Unfortunately my system is dead so I can't download speccy. All of the USB ports quit working so I can't get any monitor keyboard mouse etc to work. After much testing and discussion, it was decided that my motherboard was fried. I will try to clarify anything I can. So sorry!

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:29 PM

I would buy this motherboard: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga78lmts2
Remember you will have to buy and install a new copy of Windows unless you have the retail version.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 Amysspmn

Amysspmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:01 PM

Thank you for your guidance! I will check it out now!

#7 Amysspmn

Amysspmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:12 AM

2 questions: Does it matter that the two mobos are not the same size?

My CPU socket is AM3. Will AM3+ work with this?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:08 PM

Yes, it needs to be the same size if it is a micro case.

You can find your motherboard here.  $118. at eBay.

If you use the same motherboard there is a chance that you won't have to reinstall the operating system.  If this is needed, there is a good chance that it would activate afterward since they both will use the same drivers at startup.  These are the identifiers that Windows looks for when it starts up.  This being a OEM Windows may not even boot if it recognizes different identifiers, and it would not activate even if it did boot.  This is why it is important to try to install the same motherboard it had before.

Edited by dc3, 30 May 2016 - 01:14 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Amysspmn

Amysspmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:14 PM

Wow, that's amazing u found it! I'm starting to waffle now. I'm not 100% sure of my ability to do the work. Or I'm just nervous. I'm just plagued with What If?s. What would you do? Just not sure if I should risk the money?

#10 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

As long as you follow safe practices for handling electrostatically sensitive equipment (which basically amount to touching something metal before touching any sensitive components) and don't try to force components into slots the wrong way (they are keyed to prevent you from putting them in backwards by accident), you will be fine. Manufacturers make PC building virtually idiot-proof these days.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

What would I do?  I build and repair computers, I'd yank the old one out and install the new one.  Remove the RAM, CPU and its heatsink and fan assembly and install these in the new motherboard.

I know the thought of doing something like this for the first time can be daunting, but if you can read and follow instructions you should be alright.

The other option would be to get another computer or take it to a repair shop to have this done.

I have to comment on the little girl in you avatar.  She looks just like my niece did when she was a little girl.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 Amysspmn

Amysspmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:00 PM

You have given me such wonderful information and advice. I thought you guys would get impatient with me, so I am ever grateful that you were encouraging instead. :) Cheers to you! I think I'm gonna go ahead and try it!!
P.S. Arach-The avatar is me at 5yrs old - 1972 :)

#13 Amysspmn

Amysspmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:06 PM

Also, I have a decent tool kit for working with components. It has one of those grounding wrist strap things and I have a pad that is grounding as well. I would be incredibly hyped if I could do it. Thank you!

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:22 AM

Before you do anything... take pictures of everything on the motherboard.  Take notes of what connectors are plugged into which header pins.  Take masking tape and write the pin notation on it and attach it to the wire with the socket to that pin.

I'm trying to find a installation manual for this motherboard.  I suspect I will have to call Gigabyte to find it.  Has a installation manual, well... sort of.  You can view it here.

#15 Amysspmn

Amysspmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:07 PM

I bought the motherboard! EEK! I'm excited. I will be sure to take pictures and label as advised. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users