Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Server 2008r2 scheduled tasks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CLRDS

CLRDS

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:50 PM

Noob question:

An IT guy gave me a remote desktop account to a server with Administrator privileges. I need to create a scheduled task to run an automated Access database that is stored on a common documents drive. The database executes and terminates on its own.

Server Manager connects me to xxx-RDS, which I assume is a virtual desktop. Task Scheduler on that "computer" shows only a pair of Google update tasks. I have been able to create a task that will run when using my account name and when the task is configured to "Run only when user is logged on." It will not run otherwise, not with my account and "Run whether user is logged on or not" selected (even if I am indeed logged on and start the task manually), the Administrators account or the SYSTEM account.

So I have these questions:

Do I need to run the Task Scheduler when connected to the domain controller? I've tried connecting to it, but so far am running into an error. I can resolve the DC name, but then get a message that relates to the Event Viewer snap-in. I am troubleshooting this, but is it even necessary for me to create the task there?

Does it matter where I create the task in terms of running MSAccess?

Obviously, I don't understand "where" Task Scheduler resides (and whether there is one per server), nor how that might affect running MSAccess.

Thanks for any help.

Oh, if you happen to know how to correct this unhandled exception for Event Viewer, which is keeping me from connecting Task Scheduler to the DC, that would be great:

FX:{c7b8fb06-bfe1-4c2e-9217-7a69a95bbac4}

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

You should connect to the Server that needs to run the task directly, (It looks like the DC has the file/program needed to run). If you have the Domain administrator credentials or the account your using is a member of the "Local Administrators" group for that server. try using "Run Whether user is logged on or not" and "Run with Highest Privileges" It will ask you for your domain password and store it for the task. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:37 AM

Deleted. Sorry I miss read the post. 

Edited by neuronic, 29 June 2016 - 10:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users