Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer glitches while streaming video

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 WatDabney

WatDabney

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:56 PM

For more than a month now I've been dealing with this issue and I have no idea what is causing it. 

I am running a Win10 i7 1.8GHz processor, 8GB RAM, and Intel HD Family 4400 graphics.  I have updated the graphics driver to the latest version released 4/29/16 and this issue still persists. 

I have run multiple diagnostic tests, all passed.  I have checked for updates through Dell (manufacturer of computer) and made sure everything was up to date. 

Basically, my computer seems to glitch out while streaming videos (Netflix, youtube, etc.) or even playing videos in my own library, while surfing the internet at the same time.  Netflix and youtube are the worst for this and if I'm browsing in another tab, while pages load, the sound gets stuttered and sounds like it's playing at about half speed.  Even after the other tab loads a page, the stuttering continues, yet there are no graphics artifacts to be seen, it's all audio noises and video just plays at what seems to be half speed for a few seconds, then returns to normal.

I normally use Firefox, but downloaded Google Chrome to check if it was just the browser, but the problem persists through both browsers.  I had tried to watch my task manager while these things occur and it seems like when my CPU goes above ~60% is when this happens.  I really don't know what else to look at or what other things may be causing this, other than my computer is going to fry itself soon.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:36 PM

How fast is your internet download speed?
Make sure to install all Windows updates.
Update flash player to new version.
You can try turning off hardware acceleration to see if it fixes the problem.

1. Click the FireFox menu button and choose Options.
2. Select the Advanced panel and the General tab.
3. Uncheck Use hardware acceleration when available.
4. Click the FireFox menu button and then click Exit.
5. Start Firefox the way you normally do.

You can also disable  flash player hardware acceleration visit the Url link below for instructions.

"Disable Flash Player Hardware Acceleration"

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1058867

Posted Image

#3 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:49 PM

How fast is your internet download speed?
Make sure to install all Windows updates.
Update flash player to new version.
You can try turning off hardware acceleration to see if it fixes the problem.

1. Click the FireFox menu button and choose Options.
2. Select the Advanced panel and the General tab.
3. Uncheck Use hardware acceleration when available.
4. Click the FireFox menu button and then click Exit.
5. Start Firefox the way you normally do.

You can also disable  flash player hardware acceleration visit the Url link below for instructions.

"Disable Flash Player Hardware Acceleration"

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1058867

Internet speed ranges from 20-30Mbps

Win10 so always up to date whether I want it to be or not... 

Flash Player is up to date as well

Hardware acceleration was my first troubleshooting attempt and it made no difference

I have disabled flash player's hardware acceleration as well and the problems persist

I have been watching my CPU temp and it is running a little high most of the time, but even when I'm having issues with the choppy streaming or watching my own videos, if I restart my computer, it goes away only to return a couple hours later.  I don't know what this means or if it has any significance but nothing seems to work other than the restart to get the choppiness to stop, if only for a little while.

Thanks for the reply and if you can think of anything else, I will give it a try.

Would there be anything in my event logs that can shed any light on this?  I don't know what most of the stuff in the event log means but I've been looking for patterns or something to maybe get a grasp on this problem.  I honestly think that it's just my computer's way of saying it's going to fry soon, but I'm hoping that's not the case.

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:20 PM

- Open Resource Monitor (memory tab) and keep an eye on how all the parts (In use, modified, Standby) behave over time. If "In Use" starts to use LOTS of memory (say 80% or of all memory) after say 30 to 60 mintutes then you have a memory problem. (Chrome & Firefox are also known to use LOTS of memory).

http://www.howtogeek.com/school/using-windows-admin-tools-like-a-pro/lesson6/all/

- Install PcWinTech's Cleanmem. Disable everything but enable the system tray icon that shows the % of used memory in the system tray. Could be very revealing.

#5 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

- Open Resource Monitor (memory tab) and keep an eye on how all the parts (In use, modified, Standby) behave over time. If "In Use" starts to use LOTS of memory (say 80% or of all memory) after say 30 to 60 mintutes then you have a memory problem. (Chrome & Firefox are also known to use LOTS of memory).

http://www.howtogeek.com/school/using-windows-admin-tools-like-a-pro/lesson6/all/

- Install PcWinTech's Cleanmem. Disable everything but enable the system tray icon that shows the % of used memory in the system tray. Could be very revealing.

Thank you for the reply, but I have been monitoring my memory usage while this is going on and the only time it goes above say 40% is during startup, the rest of the time, doing normal browsing/streaming it is steady in the low 30% range.  I have checked this repeatedly, and even did the startup memory test where it all passed, with no faults.  I have even gone into the Dell preboot startup whatever thing (F12 at boot up) and that found no faults in memory, or any other components.  I have run numerous benchmark tests on my graphics and all have passed.  I have gone over this thing with a fine tooth comb and can't find what is causing this issue, and it has been almost 2 years of no problems like this at all, it's only been the past month that this issue has began.  I haven't changed anything, no new software, no new hardware, no new internet connections, everything is the same as it has been for a loooong time, so I'm just stumped.

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:20 AM

- Memory usage:  What is it including the "Standby" memory ? Did the pagefile grow during that streaming ? I still would recommend installing Cleanmem.

- I assume you upgraded from Win 8 or Win 7 to Win 10. Or did you do a fresh install of Win 10 ? I would recommend a fresh clean install over an upgrade.

- If it's only for about a month then it could be related to the latest Win 10 Update(s). Some of those updates weren't "too stable". Are you able to roll back one or more of the recent updates ?

- Your HD could be failing. Run GSmartControl and see how many pink/red lines (excluding "Temperature") show up in the "Attributes" tab.

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:07 AM

Install previous version of graphic card driver maybe latest version of the driver buggy.

Install latest version of sound card driver.

Start Firefox safe mode to find out if any add-on is causing the issue.

Uninstall and reinstall flash player.

Uninstall antivirus program and Firewall.

Posted Image

#8 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:43 PM

- Memory usage:  What is it including the "Standby" memory ? Did the pagefile grow during that streaming ? I still would recommend installing Cleanmem.

- I assume you upgraded from Win 8 or Win 7 to Win 10. Or did you do a fresh install of Win 10 ? I would recommend a fresh clean install over an upgrade.

- If it's only for about a month then it could be related to the latest Win 10 Update(s). Some of those updates weren't "too stable". Are you able to roll back one or more of the recent updates ?

- Your HD could be failing. Run GSmartControl and see how many pink/red lines (excluding "Temperature") show up in the "Attributes" tab.

I have attached some screenshots of my resource monitor to show what is going on... First (RMidle.jpg) is just the Resource Monitor at idle, no programs running.  Second (RMstreamingNF.jpg)  is Netflix streaming in HD with other web pages loading, Third (RMvlc.jpg) is vlc player running a video (HD) from my computer's library while browser is open.

I did upgrade from Win8 but had issues, reverted back to Win8 and then did a clean install of Win10

There are only a couple of updates since this started and I'm not sure what they are...  have included screenshots to show the updates... (updatehistory.jpg)

I ran GSmartControl and there were no pink/red lines...  was a little unsure how to use that program and not really sure what all of it means or does... (GSmart.jpg)

Attached Files

#9 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:40 PM

Install previous version of graphic card driver maybe latest version of the driver buggy.

Install latest version of sound card driver.

Start Firefox safe mode to find out if any add-on is causing the issue.

Uninstall and reinstall flash player.

Uninstall antivirus program and Firewall.

I had already tried this since this issue started near the time when the new update was released.  Rolled back and the problem was still there so went with the most up to date graphics driver released 4/29/16 (intel HD family 4400 for 4th generation processors)

All other drivers are up to date

Safe mode for FF made no difference

Flash player uninstalled/reinstalled

AV/FW uninstalled/reinstalled....  no change

#10 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:41 AM

Hi WatDabney,

From your first screen (GSmart.jpg) your hard drive is in trouble

I suggest you follow Willy22's advice,

Good luck 

Hedge

Edit:- Sorry, I misread your post, time for a new hard drive,is this a laptop or desktop? do you have any backups? 

Edited by hedgeley, 04 June 2016 - 02:48 AM.

#11 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:55 AM

- No, the HD is OK. Because there're no pink/red lines.

#12 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:37 AM

@ Willy22, 

Doesn't the bolded pre-failure concern you(out of curiosity I am no expert)

Thanks Hedge 

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

Follow the HDD Diagnostic tools and Guide to make sure HDD is not failing.

Posted Image

#14 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:02 PM

Follow the HDD Diagnostic tools and Guide to make sure HDD is not failing.

I am having a hard time understanding any of this, since it only lists up to Win8 not Win10.  I would assume that the process is quite similar, but I still don't understand what it's telling me to do. 

My HD is- WDC WD10JPVX-75JC3T0

so that's a Western Digital hard drive, but when I look at the link and follow to the WD support site, it tells me to select my product but I don't know which one it is on that list.

I have used the Dell ePSA utilities and there were no faults on any components.  Is the diagnostic testing you suggested going to do the same thing or is it a different kind of test?  This is about as far as my knowledge of computers goes, so I'm a bit out of my comfort zone here with any more advanced testing/diagnostics.

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

You need to download Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows click the link and from the WD Support website select WD Software tab and download Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users