Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom desktop PC starts for 3 seconds then turns off

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 iceking77

iceking77

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

My custom built desktop PC out of no where has stopped turning on. When I press the power button it starts and the leds turn on for about a couple seconds then it just turns off and tries again a few seconds later. All the fans seem to be working so doesn't seem like a component is obviously dead, at least to me. I also have checked cables and it seems like everything is connected. As well I re installed all my ram and nothing changed

I noticed the CPU fan wasn't turning on immediately, so I tried unplugging it and re plugging it back in then the fan turned on and my desktop actually started and didn't shut down, but this time my monitors would not recognize the graphics card.

I then turned it off and tried to reinstall the graphics card but after doing this now the desktop has gone back to just shutting down immediately after being turned on.

Not sure if this means I have a CPU issue, maybe it's connected to the fan not turning on? 

Thanks!

Specs:

Intel i7-2600 CPU

16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

Power supply?

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:30 AM

Power supply is probably being "told," signaled, to shutoff because of a short somewhere.  You've already tried the motherboard, power supply test?  And, beginning with one at a time stick of RAM, successively adding back one component at a time?

Edited by RolandJS, 29 May 2016 - 11:30 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 iceking77

iceking77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:39 AM

Power supply is probably being "told," signaled, to shutoff because of a short somewhere.  You've already tried the motherboard, power supply test?  And, beginning with one at a time stick of RAM, successively adding back one component at a time?

I have not, how should I go about testing the motherboard and power supply? And for the RAM you're saying that I just try booting my computer while adding another ram stick in each time I power it up?

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

I have not, how should I go about testing the motherboard and power supply? And for the RAM you're saying that I just try booting my computer while adding another ram stick in each time I power it up?

Tell power supply manufacturer and model first.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

Yes, I forgot the term for this process, what you're doing is ruling in or ruling out each piece of hardware -- until the cause of the short is found.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:50 PM

Unplug all headers(power button, power led, etc.) one at a time until the pc boots.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:52 PM

Bolstered by Yahoo Answers, i'd say, don't insert / remove RAM while power is on. It could destroy the RAM and mobo, plus your PC won't even recognise it until the next boot.

#9 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:54 PM

And don't breadboard (troubleshoot by adding components to a barebones setup on your desk) without CPU cooling, and do it on an insulating surface!

(there should be a big sign saying this on the forum, i feel)

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:14 AM

Be sure you are properly grounded during all of this.  Some sources say:  with the power switch or toggle in the back OFF, one can leave the 3-prong cord plugged to provide a third ground at all times.  And, I was inferring that anything removed or added is only removed or added with the power toggle or switch in the back OFF.  I'm sorry for not posting the above at the very beginning.

#11 iceking77

iceking77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:38 AM

Yes, I forgot the term for this process, what you're doing is ruling in or ruling out each piece of hardware -- until the cause of the short is found.

Ok great, makes sense. But how would I specifically go about testing the motherboard and power supply?

#12 iceking77

iceking77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:47 AM

Switching out the ram worked! One of my sticks must have been dead. Thank you very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users