Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will a 16gb ram laptop overheat?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shawnleecooper

shawnleecooper

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:29 AM

Hi

I am planning to buy an acer e5 491 laptop (http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.GA8AA.001). It comes with a i7-6700hq processor, gt 940m, Windows 10 and bundled with 16gb ram.

However I was informed by the sales person that with this hardware set, it will have overheating problems overtime due to Windows 10 operating system being new and unstable.

Hence, the sales person recommended me another acer model with a i7-6500u and 8gb of ram.

Usage pattern: For programming and work usage

Feeling unconvinced, could anyone provide a second opinion on whether having 16gb ram and a i7 6700u setup will overheat under Windows 10 os?

Or anyone who has used laptop with the aforementioned spec could give advise.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

All you need to buy is a $15-20 usb connected usb powered external cooling assembly [one giant fan or twin fans].  Buy the laptop you want, buy the cooling assembly -- and let us know you are having fun with your new laptop!   :)   [ps:  I have two Acer Aspire 7xxxx series laptops, each with a cooling assembly running -- they get warm, they do not get hot except in very rare push-push-backup/restore situations]

Edited by RolandJS, 29 May 2016 - 09:50 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:10 AM

The sales person must have a target to meet on the laptop with less RAM

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:59 PM

I'm not convinced it has anything to do with W10 but it is a more powerful processor so it will likely run hotter if use harder.  As RolandJS said you will need a fan especially if running the more powerful one.  This will give you some good information to look at!

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/931/Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-6500U_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-6700HQ.html

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 shawnleecooper

shawnleecooper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:15 PM

Hi,

I would like to thank all for your suggestion and input.

It's my first time considering a quad core processor laptop to be my workhorse.

Judging from all the advice, can I infer that the i7-6700hq will often generate more heat even under non-intensive usage such as web browsing, word document typing?

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users