Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bookmarks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:06 AM

I have Chrome,  IE, Opera and Firefox on my PC and each browser has its large collection of bookmarks.

When I import bookmarks from my secondary browsers into my default browser, I immediately acquire multiple duplicated bookmarks. Consequently with my default browser Firefox, almost every bookmark has a number of identically duplicated records. Firefox has over 12,000 bookmarks, which would drop to around 2,000 if I could delete the duplicates.

Bookmarks appear to be the inevitable PC nemesis of having a computer and using the Internet.

I have looked all over the web and the subject of duplicate bookmarks is obviously the sport of the day.

So far I have found nothing that will make deleting my colossal pile of duplicates an easy task.

I previously used AM DeadLink, but since the genius behind this previously superb program has now decided to delete the duplicate delete function, it is about as useful as a bucket with a hole in it.

Manual deletion is out of the question, I simply do not have enough life left to handle it.

Any  suggestions ?

Edited by Beaker77, 29 May 2016 - 10:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:32 PM

And I thought I used bookmarks intensively !

Could it be the time has come to delete the lot and start again ?  Even 2000 sounds an awful lot. If you can't find de-duping software to work on bookmarks then deletion may be your quickest option.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:48 AM

Bookmarks comprise the very fabric of PC operation world-wide. They constitute a personal  library of "books", where some books get used often and others get dusty.  To delete them all would be irresponsible and akin to reverting back to the Stone Age - to reinvent the wheel, with a library of empty shelves. Ready access to Bleeping Computer is just one example of a convenient bookmark I use often with a single mouse click.

I use bookmarks consistently from my personally selected Bookmarks Bar - some stacked  in folders. Without those conveniently grouped links I would be left staring at the snow-white, barren Google search page and wondering what to do next.

Failing my finding a program which deletes duplicates in an intelligent and selective manner, I will simply  keep this massive pile of junk. Everything works fine, no problems and I have  plenty of spare space to accommodate storing this auto-accumulated crap heap on my hard disc..

Sorry to have raised the matter.  In the immortal  words of Hannibal - Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

Edited by Beaker77, 30 May 2016 - 05:17 AM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:40 PM

Bookmarks comprise the very fabric of PC operation world-wide.

I think this overstates the case a little, but I agree they are incredibly useful and I am constantly amazed at the number of people who appear never to have heard of them. I teach computing, as a volunteer, to a mainly older audience and 'bookmarks' is a theme I keep harping on. And yes, if it is a web-site you expect to go back to with any sort of regularity by all means bookmark it as, like you, with BC, even perhaps with web-sites you only expect to visit two or three times a year.

I would argue that for any web-site you visit less often that you are as quick googling it as finding the relevant bookmark out of your 12,000. After all, it took me about 20 seconds from copying your Latin tag to finding several translations for it on Google. I regret to say I failed my 'O' level Latin exams at school, more than a few years ago, and have never studied the language since. Appropriate though - best of luck !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users