Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 refuses to boot - Can make no changes in startup repair

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:15 AM

Hey guys,

Yesterday my computer was working just fine, I shut it down to go to a friend's house and when I came back it had the little ":( There's somethign wrong with your computer" with the error code "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION" and now it boots straight in to start up repair.

I tried a few things to troubleshoot this morning; ran chkdsk /f/r - nothing found, but it could not write errors to the log file with a status 50, tried to system restore but it would not go, saying the drive was corrupt, though the disk health check on Hiren's Boot CD completely without errors. Startup repair said it could not be completed and created a logfile I can't read (Dunno if there's a command to read text files in cmd, but apparently help is no longer a recognized command.

Lastly, I tried the windows built-in reset, which got to 1% and said that it can't reset this PC, no changes were made.

Help :(

EDIT:  Now I'm even more confused, I figured out how to read the srttrail log (the startup repair logfile) and it comes up with "Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully."

What.

Edited by sausage, 29 May 2016 - 08:57 AM.

If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:53 PM

Start with these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

This sounds a bit like a hard drive issue to me.

chkdsk only checks the file system on the hard drive - not the physical hard drive itself.

SMART is just a predictive technology - it's not meant to be a diagnostic tool.  I have seen many dead hard drives that have passed SMART (we had 2 or 3 at work today - the W-D DLG tool displays SMART as you start the diagnostics).

But, as the chkdsk couldn't write to the drive - that's significant.

As is the failure at 1% of the reset

Don't feel bad about reading the srtrail log - I still get confused by them :0)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the reply! I got impatient and ended up reinstalling Windows 10 with a bootable USB provided by Microsoft and it seemed to go pretty smooth.  I did get a BSOD for a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION or something like that, but I had those a lot when I first installed W10 anyways so I'm not terribly worried about it.

I'm going to go ahead and run the diagnostics tool you linked me just in case it was a hardware problem, though my personal feeling is that it was some sort of botched driver from windows update.

If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:16 PM

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_VIOLATIONS can be either hardware or software.

It won't hurt to run the diagnostics.

But, you shouldn't have to put up with BSOD's  they're just not normal.

Post back if the problems continue.

Good Luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:38 PM

Hm. Yup. Problems. :(

It was working okay until just now, when it threw another clock_watchdog_violation. Figured I'd dig around and see what I could find, apparently event viewer showed that lgfxservice failed to start due to the directory being corrupt and unreadable, and that the system was unable to create a minidump file from the memory.dmp, plus the system was unable to connect to the internet due to "network protocols not being installed." Approximately 5 minutes after restarting, it blue screened again with the same error, only now it won't start again. It doesn't go in to startup repair, it just shows the windows logo with the revolving dots for a few seconds, then just a blue screen with more revolving dots.

Apparently windows 10 removed the ability to enter safe mode without being able to boot normally first (like what the actual bleep, who came up with that idea??)

I'm going to hit up microcenter or something and pick up a new SSD and see where that gets me, might need a new W10 license, though. It's probably worth being over and done with this headache.

Thoughts?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

If the system was activated previously, simply changing to an SSD won't affect your activation (I just changed to an SSD in my new laptop and it went flawlessly).

Once you get into Windows, Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users