Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Horizontal lines on screen, then blackness (in Win7)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 corellon

corellon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:12 AM

Hi folks,

Could you help solving this?

Two nights ago I was gaming as usual, then a few minutes after exiting the game, my screen suddenly got random noise-coloured horizontal lines on it and all the screen elements were kinda half-misplaced horizontally (as if every 2nd pixel line was shifted), and after a minute or so it all went white. I think one of my fans might have been emitting some unusual noise when the error first occurred, but that might have been the usual increased activity due to gaming.

When I quickly restarted my computer, the blue Win7 loading screen already showed the stripes, and after it showed that fade-to-black animation when it loads the actual Windows UI, it all just stayed black instead, and I had to turn it off with the power button after a few minutes. I let it "cool off" overnight, then tried again, with the same result.

Every time I tried since, the very first screen with the motherboard (I think) logo shows some black dots that I don't think were there before, then the DOS-like loading screens and the black Windows loading screen with the animated logo appear all right, but the blue loading screen shows the lines, then fades to blackness (or once to a solid light blue colour), and stays that way, while according to the noises my system loads in the background as normal, until I hard reset. But when I start my computer in Safe Mode, it all works properly, I can use my PC on a smaller resolution.

Only thing I can think of that I did recently is that a few weeks ago I cleaned my computer case out with compressed air, but I didn't move the GPU at all then, and have been gaming as usual since then.

Following some other tips I found on the internet, I tried to run or reinstall Catalyst Control Center in Safe Mode, but it says it can't detect any existing driver or GPU, and closes itself. At the same time Windows's Device Manager and the AIDA64 sees the GPU's correct model.

My PC is only useable in safe mode at the moment, and I can't magick an internet access on it under safe mode, so I'm stuck with trying to run fixes via a USB stick. I didn't yet dare to disable or uninstall the existing GPU driver in case my PC wouldn't even work in safe mode then.

Any ideas?

(PS: I had this PC config since 2011, and it was working all right until now.)

(PS2: I found a few threads in this forum describing similar-ish issues, but none of them offered a solution to my specific issue.)

Hardware:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-PH67A-UD3-B3
Memory: 8GB
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6870
Screen: Samsung SyncMaster T200

Edited by corellon, 29 May 2016 - 06:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 corellon

corellon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:15 AM

Took some screenshots and photos:

http://imgur.com/a/wzI37

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:51 AM

Hi
FWIW if the problem is the video card or monitor then the problem will not show in a screenshot. You would have to use a camera to display the problem.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

Safe  Mode uses a limited amount of drivers and processes.  One of the drivers not used are your AMD graphics driver, Safe  Mode uses a native Windows graphics driver.

Since the problem does not appear in Safe Mode it looks like you may have corrupt graphics driver.

You will need to uninstall your current drivers before installing the new driver.

Go to the AMD website and click on Download Drivers.  When the download page opens use their automatic driver search tool to find and install your driver.

Edited by dc3, 29 May 2016 - 11:18 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 corellon

corellon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

Hi
FWIW if the problem is the video card or monitor then the problem will not show in a screenshot. You would have to use a camera to display the problem.

Good Luck
Roger

Hi,

Have you actually looked at my link? The screenshots were of the error messages and such in safe mode - I took photos of the various screens during boot.

Safe  Mode uses a limited amount of drivers and processes.  One of the drivers not used are your AMD graphics driver, Safe  Mode uses a native Windows graphics driver.

Since the problem does not appear in Safe Mode it looks like you may have corrupt graphics driver.

You will need to uninstall your current drivers before installing the new driver.

Go to the AMD website and click on Download Drivers.  When the download page opens use their automatic driver search tool to find and install your driver.

Thanks for the info about the driver. I uninstalled it in safe mode, then restarted my PC in normal mode (it worked properly with basic graphics quality), and installed a fresh driver via Radeon Crimson (the automatic detection tool couldn't connect to their server). Unfortunately when restarting after the driver installation, the stripes were back, and the PC still ends up with a black screen after the stripey blue loading screen.

Edited by corellon, 29 May 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:09 PM

Was this the same version as the original driver?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,092 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:23 PM

Hi
I did and I apologize that I missed that the dots on the Initial screen. That makes it seem as if it is a hardware problem. Possibly Bad Video memory or a Bad Video Chip, I thinking Memory. Has the card been running hot in the past? Either way if You have display problems during initial screen like that they are appearing before any drivers are loaded.

From looking at the Boards specs it appears that it has not built in video to use to test. Do You have a different video card You can use to test?

That is the next step I would have taken when I was working to verify the bad video card hypothesis. If the Computer had Built in video then I would have tried known good memory first.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 corellon

corellon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:24 PM

No, the original was v9.something, and the new one is v15.something.

Hi
I did and I apologize that I missed that the dots on the Initial screen. That makes it seem as if it is a hardware problem. Possibly Bad Video memory or a Bad Video Chip, I thinking Memory. Has the card been running hot in the past? Either way if You have display problems during initial screen like that they are appearing before any drivers are loaded.

From looking at the Boards specs it appears that it has not built in video to use to test. Do You have a different video card You can use to test?

That is the next step I would have taken when I was working to verify the bad video card hypothesis. If the Computer had Built in video then I would have tried known good memory first.

Good Luck
Roger

Thanks. Can it be a physical video card problem, if the screen is all right without the driver? (in safe mode, and in normal mode with the driver uninstalled)

Unfortunately I don't have another video card around I could try. Tomorrow I'll try to reinstall the old Catalyst Control Center version I had for years, maybe that helps. Or is there something like a diagnostic program for GPUs?

Edited by corellon, 29 May 2016 - 04:26 PM.

#9 corellon

corellon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:01 AM

I tried to uninstall and reinstall again both the fresh (v15), both the 2013 driver version (v9), and also a 2011 version I found on my disc (v8), but all of them threw an error, saying that the detection driver couldn't be found during the install, and hung until I killed them from task manager.

bJo79Mb.gif

Also I was planning to do a format and clean reinstall of my PC anyway with Windows 10 before the free upgrade period expires, do you think that might solve the problem? (As far as I read even if I have to get a new GPU it won't mess up my Win10 upgrade license.)

Edited by corellon, 30 May 2016 - 06:21 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:33 AM

Your  problem is with the graphics card and its drivers.  Upgrading to Windows 10 would not solve this problem.

#11 corellon

corellon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

Your  problem is with the graphics card and its drivers.  Upgrading to Windows 10 would not solve this problem.

My thinking was if I format the disc, and reinstall a new OS (along with new driver) it might solve the issue if it's a driver problem? Or is that not correct?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:46 AM

If you are going to use the free upgrade the previous operating system will have this built on top of it.  If there are problems with the existing operating system this will still be there after upgrading to Windows 10.

What is the make and model of this computer?

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,092 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:58 AM

Hi

Good Luck
Roger

Thanks. Can it be a physical video card problem, if the screen is all right without the driver? (in safe mode, and in normal mode with the driver uninstalled)

Unfortunately I don't have another video card around I could try. Tomorrow I'll try to reinstall the old Catalyst Control Center version I had for years, maybe that helps. Or is there something like a diagnostic program for GPUs?

Hi
I think it could be the card as the video is off when the Motherboard Logo screen appears from You picture. At that point there are no driver loaded as the OS has not started to load. As I see it here, the other option would be the monitor, Do You have a different display You can use? For example I use a HDTV as a Monitor and have two or three other HDTVs that have Computer inputs too. FWIW it could also be that some of the video modes that the card uses are good and others are damaged and that could be why safe mode looks OK.
ieVtdGX.jpg

One Other thing to try would be a different slot it appears that this Motherboard has two PCIe slots, try the other one just in case it is the slot.

Good Luck
Roger

P.S. Hi Dan

Edited by rotor123, 30 May 2016 - 10:02 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

Hi Roger.  Good to see you are back. :thumbup2:

#15 corellon

corellon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

If you are going to use the free upgrade the previous operating system will have this built on top of it.  If there are problems with the existing operating system this will still be there after upgrading to Windows 10.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Hi I meant the clean reinstall as in, I upgrade to Win10, then tell it to reset the system and do a clean reinstall. (Like in this guide.) That would remove the faulty driver(s) too, isn't it? (If that's the issue at all. If not, and I have to get a new card, as far as I read the PC would still work with the win10 upgrade license.)

Hi

Good Luck
Roger

Hi
I think it could be the card as the video is off when the Motherboard Logo screen appears from You picture. At that point there are no driver loaded as the OS has not started to load. As I see it here, the other option would be the monitor, Do You have a different display You can use? For example I use a HDTV as a Monitor and have two or three other HDTVs that have Computer inputs too. FWIW it could also be that some of the video modes that the card uses are good and others are damaged and that could be why safe mode looks OK.

(image)

One Other thing to try would be a different slot it appears that this Motherboard has two PCIe slots, try the other one just in case it is the slot.

Good Luck
Roger

P.S. Hi Dan

I see, thanks. I have another screen that I can borrow, I'll try it out with that, and the other GPU slot.

Edited by corellon, 30 May 2016 - 11:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users