Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

British Petroleum Leak Do To Lack Of Maintenance?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:20 AM

I know that there are sensors used to monitor the flow of crude, and that they at least make cursory visual inspections of the pipeline, but the lack of interior inspections that I read about in the article below makes me wonder how big of an accident has been avoided, and why haven't they used the "smart pig" in the last 14 years.

Interesting reading.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/ener...4899586,00.html

BP officials said the line where the leak was found was last checked for weakness using a technology called a ''smart pig'' in which a device is sent down the tubes to assess pipeline integrity in 1992.

BP had not done a routine maintenance ''pigging'' on its transit lines because they didn't think it was necessary because those lines carry clean crude from which water was removed.

Steve Marshall, president of BP Alaska, said the company believed ultrasonic testing of pipeline wall thickness was an acceptable substitute on those lines.

In hindsight, he said, that has proven not to be sufficient.

''Clearly, we are already in the process of adjusting considerably our corrosion program,'' Marshall said, adding that the company will significantly increase its maintenance and surveillance of the transit lines both now and when they are replaced. The company is spending $72 million this year to inhibit corrosion, up from $60 million last year.

The aging pipeline system on the North Slope has been fraught with problems lately. BP, which posted a net profit of $7.3 billion for the three months ending June 30, operates the Prudhoe Bay field.

In March, BP was blamed for the rupture of a pipeline at the same Prudhoe Bay field, leading to an extension of a criminal investigation into the company's management of its Alaskan operations.

Steve Marshall, president of BP Exploration Alaska Inc., said tests Friday indicated that there were 16 anomalies in 12 areas in an oil transit line on the eastern side of Prudhoe Bay. Tests found losses in wall thickness of between 70 and 81 percent. Repair or replacement is required if there is more than an 80 percent loss

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:21 AM

They were also supposed to inject rust inhibitors with the crude to slow down corrosion but slacked off on them to save money. Alaskan residents receive an annual "oil" check every year for each individual (Alaska Permanent Fund). Those checks will no doubt be smaller too.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:36 PM

That line delivers 8% of US oil supply. Thanks too the lack of maintenance, heating oil will rise this winter. Not to mention a penny or two on unleaded and a few other distillates. You think they could have spent some of those record profits on that maintenance?!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users