Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless F's the network!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gandog

Gandog

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:09 AM

Umm yeah as the topic says. I have an internet running off an ADSL 1 connection, running a Netgear D6200. I both do gaming as well as downloading. It doesnt happen all the time, but seems something the wireless users do on the net which make it download at a max of 50kb's, and when I game I usually get an ms of 40, but when the wireless users f it up, it goes from 150-50000ms with drop outs etc..

Disconnecting the wireless from the router "fixes" the problem. I dont stand over watching the users, but I think they know what is causing the problem, but wont say. Its not like a download or upload, once the problem starts it happens for hours. I had the problem about a year ago, and it seemed to be one site one user was using that caused the problem, I forget how and why.

I have also had a couple more problems with the setup including, an older router no longer being able to connect to the ISP, but upgrading to a newer one fixed that. A fortnight later im pretty sure they are making us share line and the download speeds have halved. And thirdly is the main problem of the wireless users making the connection unusable on an Ethernet connection.

Each problem has started at different timelines so seem independent of each other. How can I go about finding the problem and making the internet usable for all?? (Main problem being wireless connected = high ms in games and very low download, other things mentioned cause they may be part of the problem..)

Thanks Gandog!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:27 PM

do multiple speed test over a span of a day and see how that compares to what your plan says it will deliver.

#3 Gandog

Gandog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:43 AM

I have done, in regards to the speed tests. I use to get speeds of 800kbs-1mb a sec, which as much as you can get with ADSL 1, but that has dropped to 450kbs. As well as that when laptops of phones are connected to the wifi it is stuck about 50kbs if that (F'ed).. Even when a family member leaves her laptop on standby, it is still connected to the network and cripples the speed.. (This has happened with two different routers.) (Also they can connect and the connection can be fine sometimes, but most the time it cripples the network, other times it doesnt???)

So as I said two or three different problems which is highly frustrating and im not sure how to identify the problem. In regards to the speed halving I have talked to the ISP and they say its still within the reasonable speed for ADSL 1 so wont do anything further about it. And the box down the street we connect cant to take ADSL 2 connections...

Edited by Gandog, 01 June 2016 - 12:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users