Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I a victim of a home invasion as per this browser find?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sometimes13

sometimes13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:31 AM

On the Chrome browser, with Gmail open in two tabs (two different accounts, one per tab), if the computer is physically disconnected from the router via its Ethernet cord (this desktop has no Wi-Fi card, so no connectivity once this hard disconnect is made), can an open tab still display an "Oh Snap! Something went wrong" error message during its time offline (when disconnected, the Gmail icon of the red and white icon was visible, but upon return from being away from the computer for an hour, the error message icons/pages were in their place -- I have additional information to back this, but I suspect foal play)? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sometimes13

sometimes13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:38 AM

I should mention, I use a PC AND while away from my home, I checked one of the two linked email account from an Android cell phone, hence logging in from a remote location whereby if someone with access to my computer while away were actively to have plugged the Ethernet cord back in, data I'd logged on from another device/location would likely have caused the"Oh Snap!" before the perp re-disconnected the cable and exited my home before I returned.

#3 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:39 PM

Personally, l'm unsure what exactly you're saying. You need to work on your wording:

"when disconnected, the Gmail icon of the red and white icon was visible,"

"two linked email account from an Android cell phone, hence logging in from a remote location whereby if someone with access to my computer while away were actively to have plugged the Ethernet cord back in, data I'd logged on from another device/location would likely have caused the"Oh Snap!" before the perp re-disconnected the cable and exited my home before I returned."

???

#4 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:43 PM

In my experience, with similar services, l've seen the screen change upon disconnection. I guess it's to free up server resources at their end, they put a bit of their program into your RAM, so that it's your computer that displays the "Ooops something went wrong!" screen. Could help against DDOS attacks l guess? Because it's a user's own computer that puts up the denial of service notice (disclaimer: i don't have a clue about how servers nor much about how DDOS works except my own experiences of being on the receiving end).

#5 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

Of course, the website server might not even have time to issue a denial of service notification ("Ooops! Something went wrong"), before you close the connection, so it may be merely for that reason that they put a program in your RAM so that you give yourself the "Oops" notification. Still though, check your valuables, your underwear drawer, everything :D j/k

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:26 PM

A page crashing is nothing to worry about. That is a common occurrence, but you may want to reinstall Google Chrome if it keeps happening. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users