Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Folders in Bookmarks Bar

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:37 PM

Why...why did google do this to us Linux users?  Is anyone else irritated by this?  I really miss my Manilla/yellow Folders.  A while back looked into changing these but lost interest after not finding a simple fix.  I don't like the google forums either, they are hard to navigate for me, so partially my fault for not pursuing it further.  I'm quite certain I complained to google also but got no reply.  Maybe someone can tell me what to do if anything.  Don't want complicated fixes that will not stick when Upgrades come through either.  I would even consider changing them to Blue, or anything but Black at this point.  Hope someone has the story about all this, and some can say whether they are having the same issue?

"black (actually grey) icons on linux are intentional"  They are calling them "Grey" lol, mine are not grey, and others have said the same thing, "not grey" lol.

"As we update Chrome for Material Design, the icons are getting flatter and more uniform in their color. The grey of this folder (0x5a5a5a) should be appearing in a lot of places soon. It applies to ChromeOS as well as Linux. Windows and Mac need to have special folder icons for reasons beyond my ability to describe."

Not sure why it says "Status: Fixed" in the Left pane at this site also:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=527923

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/ygP0aimtXqQ/cO5I3jyRBAAJ

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

Hiya, pcpunk.

Yep, you're not the only one who doesn't like it. I can live with it, but I don't have to like it! When was it....around version 47, from what I remember.....or it could have been 46, I forget now. I know I jumped from 45 to 47, and there they were.....yuk! 

Strangely, though, it's got in the last month or so that I no longer even notice them.....  :lol:

Must be going 'icon-blind'.  :)

I used to like the older style of Chrome, where the text was very much smaller, and the menus'n'stuff were a lot more compact.....around, oh, what was it; 30, 31.....32? When it all got a lot larger, around 35-36, I hated it; but only for a little while. Finally realised it was all SO much easier to read...!!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 30 May 2016 - 03:34 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:20 PM

I use Windows 7 a lot also, so really notice it when I switch.  It's just ugly, and can't imagine why it would be done, but it seems that there is a technical reason.  Changing Themes helps but I like the themes that make it them black, because of all other aspects of that theme.

How do you like the new Chrome Version 51.0.2704.63 (64-bit)?  It's different, and pretty cool features have been added!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,440 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:07 PM

Hiya, pcpunk.

Well, I gotta confess I'm a Linux buff.....though I like to keep fairly up-to-date with Chrome. I do still run an instance of XP, though it's just for the odd thing that simply works better under Windows than it will under WINE.

I'm currently on 50.0.2661.94....haven't quite got around to the newest version yet. As for theming, well; I can't find it on the Chrome WebStore any longer, but it's a cross between the 'Carbon Black', and the 'Aero Trans Brushed Metal'. Brushed metal for the tabs, toolbar and interface, with carbon fibre for the background to the tabs...

Y2VvMPU.png

Like that..!

As for features, the one I'm most interested in is being able to use NetFlix; so long as that works, I'm good. I've been using Chrome ever since it was in beta, back in, what....2007? Had a Google a/c that long, too, and I've always liked the way Chrome works. I run a fair number of 32-bit Linux distros still.....all Puppy Linux. Can't get an up-to-date version of Chrome for these any longer, so I've switched to using SlimJet.....which still supports 32-bit, and will for the forseeable future. It's based on Chromium, which is of course where all the cutting-edge development work for Chrome itself takes place. And even though Google have said, 'Right, 64-bit only from now on', Chromium is still going to keep supporting 32-bit for quite a while yet. Suits me!  :thumbup2:

And the nice thing about the theme is that it works in SlimJet, too. Talking of which, SlimJet still uses the original manilla/yellow folder icons.....

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 30 May 2016 - 07:10 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,440 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:48 AM

Just d/l'd & installed the newest Chrome in Tahrpup64. Not too sure as I like this; I see what you mean about the changes. It's kinda flatter, sharper and more angular, isn't it? Even the tabs have lost their rounded corners... (*Shame!*)

Mike.  :scratchhead:

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,440 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:18 AM

TBH, I'm starting to like it the more I use it. I like the way the back/forward buttons kinda 'blip' now when you click on them.....  :P

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 31 May 2016 - 06:18 AM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:54 AM

Yup, they added some eye candy!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,440 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:07 PM

Mmm-hmm. Added quite a bit of eyecandy, in fact. One of the very few things that irritates me about Chrome is that every 3rd or 4th release, some bright spark decides it's time for a 'face-lift' ( rather in the same way they do with cars, too.)

And they decide it's time to re-design the appearance of everything. I'll move with the times, same as anybody else; but I do hate the whole idea of 'change purely for the sake of change'. What's wrong with keeping things the same for a while.....??

Never mind. *Rant over!*  :P

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users