Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Stops Responding -- Everything Else Okay

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Whitesugar

Whitesugar

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:57 AM

I have a problem with my HP pavilion A1243WB computer's mouse. A few months after I got it, the mouse would just stop responding. Everything else would be okay, there was no spyware, I had firewall/antivirus support, and nothing else would freeze. The keyboard would work, and the mouse actually works if you press the right click button to pull up a menu on the desktop. It's just stuck in the center of my screen and will not move. It's a standard 2-button mouse with a scroll wheel, a ball, and a cord. I cleaned the ball gently, the 'wheels' inside the core that the ball moves, and even tried manually moving them to see if the mouse would respond. It didn't.

I tried purchasing a new mouse that plugged into the same PS-2 port, not USB, that was a laser optical wireless. It was fine at first but the same problem cropped up only a few hours or a day or so later.

I just uninstalled the optical mouse, returned to the mouse the HP computer came with, and uninstalled the mouse drivers for it then rebooted. It reinstalled the drivers for me, but still the same problem.

What can I do to fix this?. I'm going to go purchase a new mouse tomorrow and hope this works, but I really don't understand what's causing the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:15 AM

Have you checked the Event Viewer for errors related to the mouse, or any hardware or application?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:15 AM

I am curious to know what would happen if you plugged in your new mouse to a USB port. Does the issue remain, or is this a good work around?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:58 AM

Since it is one of the MS plug and play devices it should be recognized and work. No more complicated than that. If it is specialized (pen-pad, multi-button, stylus) it may require additional drivers but the basic function, left right and wheel, should work out the box.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users