Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4 hours later after 50 Rogue AVs and a bad time :)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:42 PM

ded.png\

I think it's safe to say I killed it :D

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allen

Allen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:48 PM

Safe Mode, Normal Mode, it doesn't matter; it's dead as door nail :D 

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:39 AM

Have you tried a Repair from a Windows OS Disk.

You have posted No Operating System , PC Model etc .....we cant guess ?

That error code points to a memory exception.
You may be able to boot into safe mode if you remove all but one stick of RAM.

#4 Allen

Allen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:11 AM

All of this was done in a VM. I appreciate you want to help, but at this point, the best thing to do is to wipe the VM clean :P

So let's see how this all went down

Set up a clean VM > get a pack of 50 fake AVs > run em all at the same time for fun sake > screen is covered in the fake AVs and task manager and regedit get disabled (you can thank Security essentials 2010 and security tool for that one :) ) but msconfig is left alone > disabled all start up programs that are safe to disable > reboot and find most of them are disabled, but a few remained > attempt msconfig again, same result > Try setting minimum boot mode with msconfig > reboots and bsod happens > tries all three safe modes, bsod occurs in all three > tries normal mode, bsod. > run an offline virus scan and removes most viruses > tries booting to normal mode, bsod'd again > tries an offline reg editor to reset msconfig's settings > attempts once again to boot to normal mode, bsod'd again >_<  > gives up for the night and logs off.

Edited by Allen, 29 May 2016 - 08:27 AM.

#5 Allen

Allen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:15 PM

But hey if anyone wants to try and help me figure out how to fix the install without reinstalling the OS or restoring to a snapshot on VMWare, it'd be a fun thing to try :P 

#6 Allen

Allen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:34 AM

So I came back to a snapshot taken in the VM about almost a month later, and found there was a TDSS rootkit on the VM. Which would explain the repeated BSODs: Msconfig was set to try to boot to safe mode, but TDSS kept blocking safe mode. So after being bored last night, I went in with Kaspersky's rescue CD and cleaned it up. But yeah, it was actually a lot of fun to try and fix it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users