Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop computer on WiFi?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GingersDad

GingersDad

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:06 PM

I have a combination modem/router supplied by my cable company that puts out a strong WiFi signal throughout my house. 

I'd like to use a desktop computer (running Windows 10) in another room from the router and don't want to run a cable into that room.  Is it possible to access my WiFi signal on my desktop computer and if so, what do I need to accomplish that?

Thanks.

GingersDad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:17 PM

yes it is possible youd just need a wireless card or usb wireless adapter to plug into your desktop computer

#3 JMD9

JMD9

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

Bellkin makes a fairly cheap usb wireless adapter that you just plug in and go.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:34 PM

Highly possible, though i would get this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EQT0YK2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00JDVRCI0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02X2HCHBHY06HGFMDFT8

I have one, works fantastically

To heck with belkin, its a crap company

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 GingersDad

GingersDad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:35 PM

I've discovered that my desktop, a Dell Inspiron 3847, is advertised as having Wi-Fi built in, but I have no idea how to access it.  I can find nothing on the Dell website, although there is something about a Wi-Fi switch on laptops, but there is no such switch on my desktop.  Any ideas about how to turn on my WiFi reception?

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:37 PM

Well its possible that yes it has built in wifi, but you would be able to see for yourself if you disconnect it from the modem/router.

You should have a software front end of some kind for it, rather it be dells software or within windows

Edited by MadmanRB, 28 May 2016 - 10:40 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 dustyjay

dustyjay

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:40 AM

What is the Express Service Tag onthe Dell Desk top you have?  With that we can determine if it does indeed have built in wireless and help identify the proper driver for it.

#8 GingersDad

GingersDad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:08 AM

The Express Service Code is 11451158210.

The Service Tag is 59DQ282

#9 GingersDad

GingersDad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:04 AM

Well its possible that yes it has built in wifi, but you would be able to see for yourself if you disconnect it from the modem/router.

You should have a software front end of some kind for it, rather it be dells software or within windows

Feeling stupid....I just disconnected the ethernet cable from the modem/router and the desktop is now connected via Wi-Fi.  Thanks!

Edited by GingersDad, 29 May 2016 - 07:06 AM.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:06 AM

Feeling stupid....I just disconnected the desktop from the modem/router and the desktop is now connected via Wi-Fi.  Thanks!
no need to feel stupid because trust me Wi-Fi is not exactly a standard on a desktop its more common in laptops and such so don't feel too bad about asking this question

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users