Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot remove anything from the Windows 10 start menu!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:17 PM

I have a bunch of folders left over from games and stuff that I uninstalled, leaving just the folder itself or a folder with only an html file or two. I cannot remove those entries. I googled 'Windows 10 remove start menu items' and was provided by right on Google itself linking to major geeks that I need to right click the item and select delete, but as I provided the feedback to Google, nothing could be further from the truth. Any time I right click on an item or a folder in the start menu on Windows 10, it act the same as a left click does, opens the folder, or selects the item (highlight), right clicking on the start menu is not possible in Windows 10. How do I get rid of these junk entries in the Windows 10 start menu? Because obviously right clicking isn't the answer, unlike popular answers say.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

if right clicking isn't working you have bigger issues than simply removing older files

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:58 PM

can you right click anything else on your PC? you may have accidentally disabled that.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:23 PM

you can type in the below folder path to get to your user specific Start Menu folder and all users specific Start Menu folder. . Just type the folder paths into the location address bar in Windows Explorer and you’ll immediately see the contents of your Start Menu. You can delete the Start Menu shortcuts you want at these two folders.

%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Posted Image

#5 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:49 AM

Yes, right click works everywhere else, just not in the start menu. I am not sure if the problem lies within the fact that it is a touch screen Windows tablet where holding for a couple of seconds is the equivalent of right click

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:24 AM

The advice given by usasma in this post is precisely the set of steps I'd take as it is applicable to many of these sorts of "odd problems."

You can, of course, skip the using restore if this problem has been chronic or you have no idea when it may have begun.  Doing a set of DISM runs is where I'd begin.

Right click definitely should bring up a context menu for any item on the start menu allowing you to unpin it, among other options including delete.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:37 PM

Right click does not work with folders it only works with programs shortcuts.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users