Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

15 year old system no POST

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:00 PM

I'm very sad, this system means a lot to me.

It would sometimes power on for a couple of seconds and then go off. I used to only take a couple of goes, but it got worse and worse until now it powers off after a couple seconds every single time. If it did come on, it booted fine.

I only have the PSU, speaker and CPU and cooler installed at the moment and it does the same, no beeps. For 15 years this PC has not shown any signs of wear at all.

The weird thing is, what I used to have to do when it was getting bad, was I noticed the colder the system was, the harder it was to start. It got to the point where I had to take off the side and place a heater to it for 5 mins, and it would start fine. Like a car not starting cold.

Specs:

2001 LEC Science (Optima clone)

Asus P4B-M motherboard

Intel Pentium 4 1.50 GHz

2x256 MB RAM

Gigabyte RIVA TNT2 M64 graphics

Seagate U-Series 20 GB IDE HDD

3.5" Floppy drive

Delta 250W PSU

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:11 PM

it is very possible it may just need a new PSU, aside from that getting it back up and running may be a tad costly with such old hardware

#3 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:14 PM

it is very possible it may just need a new PSU, aside from that getting it back up and running may be a tad costly with such old hardware

Yes. I just thought, there's one thing I could try, the PSU. I tried another I had and now its beeping!

At least PSUs are pretty much universal. I mean, the new EVGA one in my main system is even compatible with this system. I'll look into a new one.

Thanks anyway for the advice.

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users