Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell 1545 mobo issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Donna30

Donna30

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

Hello I could use some help I have a dell inspiron 1545 that has been having issues with finding any boot devices so I took it apart and seen that a little chip is missing if anyone could help with telling me where to get a new chip it would be very helpful. I found this picture online of my mobo I marked the chip that is missing.2modqa8.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:05 PM

you cant, you need to buy a new mobo

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:31 AM

This is the type of device, but not necessarily the right package mount:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/abracon-llc/ABM7-14.31818MHZ-D2Y-T/535-9838-1-ND/2001461

However I'd say a technician's assessment would be required, since that is the reference crystal for the system timer, and I think you'd have bigger problems if it was meant to be there but isn't. Depending on the design of the board, there is possibly a feed through to the other side of the board for fitment of a different package chip, or a board version release which synthesises the timer clock from another source.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:08 AM

If it was an oscillator, the PC wouldn't work at all. It looks like its a surface mount capacitor and seems to be labeled C482(?) It is probably NOT the cause of your problem.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:39 PM

Donna, if you refer to the schematic you mention on Tom's, from the start page in the PDF, do a search (Ctrl-F) for X3, which should take you straight to the page showing your board's system timer. Even if the schematic doesn't make much sense to you, you should be able to identify the parts shown there: X3, U54, C461 and C462 on your board.

If the chip that does not seem to be present is actually the larger chip completely circled in your image, it's the X3 written underneath the red ellipse that is for that chip. The C461 & C462 are the tiny capacitor chips between it and the clock synthesizer chip U54. The chip you have circled has the crystal frequency silk screened on it, and from the schematic its variant is X-14D31818M-37GP.

If you wanted to get the exact thing for a technician to try, I'd suggest try sourcing a same model board that is condemned for a different fault (therefore maybe free?), and a tech with SMT soldering gear should be able to transfer it.

If you simply want to try with a new component, I can't say how difficult it might be to get the exact part, but something that seems to be an equivalent will possibly function fine, but that's an assumption.

Edit: I'd re-iterate my comment above, before trying to "repair" anything by part replacement, make sure the board doesn't simply have feedthroughs to the other side to accomodate a crystal in a package that won't fit on that side.

Edited by Platypus, 05 June 2016 - 08:48 PM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:44 PM

It looks like its a surface mount capacitor

That was my first thought too, but it definitely has the frequency given for X3 silk screened on the top. The X3 designation is obscured under the circle added by Donna.

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:40 AM

And rats (!), I had a 1545 here less than a month ago.

Donna, can you post a much larger or zoomed in picture of the part?

And, maybe a picture of the board with it missing?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users