Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forced 10 and results

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ScaleCraft

ScaleCraft

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:00 PM

My 86 year old mother, who doesn't want 10 on her little HP, got it auto downloaded.

Nothing worked right. Icons gone, no way to get to "my computer", printer dead, couldn't even export files from word.

I spent 3+ hours (not counting drive time) to revert without saving files as we couldn't...removing the offending KB (and I haven't "poisoned" the system yet...but that's coming), CCleaner, Defraggler, reloaded printer disc and found settings thatv had been turned off by 10.

Auto updates aren't anymore. Nagware icon gone. Speed back up to better than it was on 7 to begin with.

I have spare XP discs with licences that was my fallback if this didn't work.

What a load of garbage.

I am happy some folks like it...I am really happy MicroSoft has decided to impress the world with the vast numbers of 10 users, they have to go to "forced updates" (or should I say "recommended"?).

I talked to someone who works MS Support the other day (I guess there really is such a thing), and the BIGGEST percentage of calls, way higher than anything else, is "how do I get 10 off my computer and go back to (whatever I had before)?"

THAT should tell you something.

Even Huffington Post says it's MS "monetizing" and the author I read last night was NOT happy.

MS wanted to know why we were "reverting"...I told them they could take 10 and stick it where the sun don't shine.

This isn't the first time MS has "forced" updates....and last time the judge said MS could do what they wanted (guess how much MS stock he held?), but this one...to load you with an entire OS you didn't want and remove the one you PAID for may, hopefully, get these folks in the hotseat in a courtroom.

I have XP, and other that the XP-8.1 laptop, all computers here are XP. When MS, Google (yes, google) and anyone else makes it impossible to use XP, I will go to Ubuntu...already have a tower set up and waiting.

After WGA and now this, MS has lost me forever as a supporter and customer.

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:20 PM

After you get Windows 7 to the way you like it I would recommend a creating a complete disk image to an external drive using Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper. Also you can download either of the following utilities to prevent this from happening again but according to Microsoft you will not have to worry about being upgraded to Windows 10 after July.

GWX Control Panel

Never10

As you have already found out, upgrading to 10 can render your printer useless if it is an older model that no longer supports Windows 10. Because Windows 10 is considered a service any major upgrade could render any device useless if a driver is no longer available after the major upgrade.

#3 ScaleCraft

ScaleCraft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:32 PM

I have Macrium Reflect and a 21.TB external hard drive, and my main XP Machine is imaged there.

I may have to do that here, once I het the HP Bloatware out of it.

I remember the posturing from Redmond during the WGA circus..where MS said they could shut down any machine wherever it was whenever they wanted...and the chances those of us who will not accept their "program" may get shut down...and the "image" will get me right back up again.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:36 PM

Yeah, I specifically avoided the WGA update. Totally useless and phoned home every time you booted. I had to use a utility to remove it on one computer it downloaded to as once downloaded and installed it could not be uninstalled normally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users