Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows hangs every couple seconds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zacoru

Zacoru

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:51 PM

I can't tell you when it started happening because it's slowly been getting worse and worse for a over a year. 

First off, here are a few specifications:

I am Running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit.

My Parts are: 

ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I (Motherboard)

Intel i7 4790K (cpu)

(Asus) Nvidea GTX 750 1 GB GDDR5 (gpu)

I am unaware of what my PSU is, but It's made by Corsair, is 80+ Bronze, and is 3.5 years old.

G.Skill Sniper Series 2x4GB RAM 1600

Kingston 120 GB SSD (Currently 90% Capacity w/Operating System)

Please Note that I have also done malware scans using both AVAST and Malwarebytes and using a Kaspersky Labs Anti-Rootkit Scanner, all coming up clean. So let's assume the problem sisn't a virus 

My problem starts right from the login screen, not in the BIOS or Boot Process. What happens is, there is a light on the front of the computer, I am unaware of what the light is signalling specifically, but generally it flashed often when processing is occurring. Every 30-90 seconds my computer will hang, disallowing any program to load anything into memory. anything currently in memory can be modified. The problem usually lasts about 10 seconds but has been increasing over time. 

Along with this has been a general slow-down of the computer. Decreasing in general speed over time as well. During some games I've tried playing on it, the effect grows massively worse. In Planetside 2, every 5-7 seconds, the game will skip up to 270 frames and then restart the cycle. It is less evident in anything else. 

That's the basic extent of the problem. I look forward to hearing responses and answers!

Please Note that I have also done malware scans using both AVAST and Malwarebytes and using a Kaspersky Labs Anti-Rootkit Scanner, all coming up clean. So let's assume the problem sisn't a virus 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:07 AM

Lets assume you have no viruses firstly.

Try freeing up some Space on the SSD as 10% free is what we call the Mininum  so try and increase it as much as possible.

Remove unused Programs / Old Restore Points / Temp Files / Do a Disk Cleanup Also { R/C Drive - Properties - Disk Cleanup }.

Any personal files / Pics / Videos / etc ...offload to an External Drive.

See if that the above helps : if not try 1 x stick ram as a test to see if it still lags.

Post back any results.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:22 PM

I'd like to try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Zacoru

Zacoru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:43 AM

Here's the results

Attached Files

Edited by Zacoru, 30 May 2016 - 07:46 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:59 PM

The Admin log shows hundreds of ATAPI errors (controller errors).

This is either a controller error, a problem with a drive, or a problem with the file system on the drive.

Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

I'd start with the hard drive diagnostics as that's the prime suspect at this point.

Only 312 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most systems with SP1 have 350-400 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

You have a NETGEAR WNA3100 N300 Wireless USB Adapter

I do not recommend using wireless USB network devices.
These wireless USB devices have many issues with Win7 and later systems - using older drivers with them is almost certain to cause a BSOD.
Should you want to keep using these devices, be sure to have the latest W7/8/8.1/10 drivers - DO NOT use older drivers!!!
An installable wireless PCI/PCIe card that's plugged into your motherboard is much more robust, reliable, and powerful.

C: drive only has less than 6% free space.  Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty).  Low free space can cause BSOD's - but the actual amount depends on the files being used by the system.

You have 4 hard drives.  What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?

These devices have problems in Device Manager:

Not Available    ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&DABA3FF&2    The drivers for this device are not installed.
SM Bus Controller    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CA2&SUBSYS_85341043&REV_00\3&11583659&0&FB    The drivers for this device are not installed.
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller    PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_1142&SUBSYS_85FD1043&REV_00\4&14144E6&0&00E4    The drivers for this device are not installed.
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CB1&SUBSYS_85341043&REV_00\3&11583659&0&A0    The drivers for this device are not installed.
Ethernet Controller    PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_859E1043&REV_11\6&7AA96BA&0&001800E3    The drivers for this device are not installed.

The first device is either the Intel Management Engine or the AMDA00 device

I would suggest visiting the Asus website and installing ALL of the drivers that are available there.
This will also take care of the different controllers that don't have drivers installed

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).

Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html
NOTE:  The uninstaller may not find the SPTD.sys driver.  Don't worry about it, just let us know in your post.
NOTE2:  The latest version has an SPTD2.sys driver - the uninstaller is on the same page as the SPTD.sys driver - just download the version for W10!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users