Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

web desktop shortcuts have changed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:11 PM

Question please...Using windows-10 Home

Created web desktop shortcuts have changed when using three different browsers...As per attachment. Searched and must admit,,Still not resolved.... System seems free of any malware and or other threats.... Might have happened with last updates,,,not sure....Thanks  Jim   Attachment are random examples only...

Attached Files

Edited by Jim-Bo, 28 May 2016 - 05:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:47 AM

What happens when you click on one of them?

#3 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:01 AM

What happens when you click on one of them?

The shortcut work just as they should. It is as if they are out of proportion as pic shows. I did the rebuild icon cache deal,,,no change. I can use the Firefox add on,,, create deskcut and they are added to desktop correctly...Weird to say the least....Thanks for your reply...Jim

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:31 PM

Since you have three browsers have you tried associating them with a different browser?

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:57 PM

The website Url address shortcuts are associated with FireFox browser that is the reason they have FireFox icon there is two more website shortcuts which is associated with another program this happens because these files must have different extensions which are associated with different programs.   You can associate any one web browser to open saved website files from "Control Panel --> Default Programs --> Set Your Default Programs".

Posted Image

#6 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:56 AM

The website Url address shortcuts are associated with FireFox browser that is the reason they have FireFox icon there is two more website shortcuts which is associated with another program this happens because these files must have different extensions which are associated with different programs.   You can associate any one web browser to open saved website files from "Control Panel --> Default Programs --> Set Your Default Programs".

Not completely sure I have followed instructions correctly. I did set Firefox to all defaults tho. I am near positive you are on target. I probably have something not right yet,,still not assoiating all with Firefox.....Thanks, much appreciated...Jim,,

#7 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:56 AM

The desktop shorts show correctly  ( If I Set Chrome as default Browser.) Gotta be something in my Firefox settings. Maybe Microsoft making mean to Firefox. Little things sure bother me....Thanks....I am still trying..(I need my Firefox Fix tho)...Much appreciated...Jim

Edited by Jim-Bo, 30 May 2016 - 09:00 AM.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:47 PM

Follow the video tutorial at Microsoft website to set programs as default program. Download the IconCache_Rebuilder.bat batch script and executed as a administrator make sure to save all open files and close open programs as you will be prompted to restart the computer which you have to. This batch script will delete thumbnail and icons cache. 

"

"Make Internet Explorer your default browser"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/make-ie-default-browser#ie=ie-11

Edited by FreeBooter, 30 May 2016 - 05:47 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:52 AM

Follow the video tutorial at Microsoft website to set programs as default program. Download the IconCache_Rebuilder.bat batch script and executed as a administrator make sure to save all open files and close open programs as you will be prompted to restart the computer which you have to. This batch script will delete thumbnail and icons cache. 

attachicon.gifIconCache_Rebuilder.bat

"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/make-ie-default-browser#ie=ie-11

Trying to figure out hout to run as administrator. Smart Screen Filter has me blocked....Thanks...Jim

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:11 PM

"

Trying to figure out hout to run as administrator. Smart Screen Filter has me blocked....Thanks...Jim

I'm sorry i don't understand you are you having issue running batch script as a administrator?

What does Smart Screen Filter blocked?

Posted Image

#11 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:04 PM

"

I'm sorry i don't understand you are you having issue running batch script as a administrator?

What does Smart Screen Filter blocked?

I finally found out how to turn Smart Screen Filter off  "http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1406-internet-explorer-smartscreen-filter-turn-off.html"  long enough to run the batch file.  All is well and corrected. I sure appreciate your advice (Help)..I now need to find correct forum to ask another Q about Zemana found items....Thanks again...Jim

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:20 PM

You are very welcome, i'm glad to know issue has been resolved.

Take Care!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users