Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aol Nuisance

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:14 AM

I want AOL completely off my computer and I have gone into my registry and tried to do it manually and just when I think I am done there is MORE. ERRRRRR :thumbsup:

Is there a way that I can just do a general search and destroy type deal?

ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.

Nikki Rockstar :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:55 PM

Is there a way that I can just do a general search and destroy type deal?

Short story, No. AOL modifies modem settings, winsocks, etc. It's basically a parasite. You'll be picking out bits and pieces of AOL for a PC lifetime.

Be (AOHell) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

Have you tried windows "search" feature? Click on "start" then "search" choose "all files or folders" Type AOL in the box under "All or part of a file name" Make sure "local hard drive" is in the window by "look in" click on the little arrow to the right if it's not in order to choose it. Then click on the little arrow to the right of "Advanced Options" and make sure the boxes by "search system folders" "search hidden files and folders" "search subfolders" and "search tape backup" have little green checks by them. Then hit the search button at the bottom. Search will, hopefully, find all the files and folders related to that company. However, if they have folders and files that don't have AOL in the name, search will not find them.

Have you tried using the "find" feature in regedit? After the initial find, you will need to click on "find next" to get to the next key. Keep clicking on "find next" until you get a message that says it has finished searching the registry. You will have to decide what to do with each key as you come to it.

Just be Absolutely Certain that any keys you delete are related to AOL.

Be certain to back-up your registry before making any changes. Also set up a system restore point with an easily identified name so that you can go back to an earlier state in case something goes wrong.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:44 PM

to get rid of aol:

0 uninstall all aol related items in the add/remove programs, including Viewpoint media player, and pure networks port magic

1 restart your computer in safe mode ( hit F8 right after the bios beeps)

2 open the administrator account.

3 search for AOL*.*, make sure to check the search hidden files and folders box.

4 when the search is finished, right click on each folder found, hold down the shift key while clicking delete.

5 repeat until all folders are gone,

6 perform same with each remaining file

7 dont mess with the registry unless you know what you are doing.

Edited by oldf@rt, 09 August 2006 - 09:47 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:20 PM

Thank you guys.

Animal,

aoHELL... That is funny. That is exactly what it is too. HA HA HA That was the problem is that I would start in one folder and delete some and then it was like it would put itself back in there. I feel that AOL is a computer CULT and hopefully it will repeat HEAVEN'S GATE. ha ha ( no offense to anyone who uses AOL ) I just really don't like it. CAN YOU TELL?

Orange,

Yes I have done it that way and I only hit the tip of the iceberg that way. Thank you though. This is just a big pain in the ARSE.

Oldf@art,

I will try it that way. I did a search in the registry with AOL and started deleteing stuff. So far I haven't completely killed my computer. But I am going to do it your way now that I know another way.

ATTENTION ALL VIRUS MAKERS...
Can you please be more productive and invent something actually useful and make a virus that attacks all of AOL and deletes it automatically without making the lives of the computer owner a living nightmare? Thank you. :thumbsup:

Edited by Nikki Rockstar, 14 August 2006 - 11:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users