Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU or PSU Problem?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Paparrabinho

Paparrabinho

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:20 PM

Hi,

I have a 4 years old PC, and recently its presenting some problem. The PC wasn't booting up sometimes and when it did it restarted a lot and randomly. I tried many things and found that if I didn't use my GPU (a GTX 670) it would boot up normally and never restarts. The problem is: I tested the GPU in another PC and it worked without any problem, could it be my PSU? or there's something wrong with my video card?

thanks for the help!

PC config:

i7 - 3770

Mobo b75m-b3h

GPU: gtx 670

PSU: Corsair CX750

2x 2gb RAM

2x 1TB HDD 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:13 PM

Based off your info it certainly sounds like a PSU or a motherboard issue. I had helped a friend build a system similar to yours with the exact same model of PSU and it too had acted in the same manner. I swapped it out with a model I had available CX650 and problems went away instantly. It wasn't under voltage It was the PSU caps beginning to fail. I read more and more same things on the internet about the Corsair 750 having this same issue. Could be that many flawed ones got sold. A motherboard can cause these issue as well. Basically the same thing happens with capacitors on the motherboard beginning to fail. There really is no way to tell for sure than to swap the PSU. Don't attempt to open the PSU it is dangerous and the high voltage caps in there can kill. Not sure how long Corsair carry it's warranty, but that is something you can look into. Problem is you would be without a computer possibly for weeks during that process. Otherwise you will just have to break down and buy a new one.

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

The lower-end corsair PSUs are known to have isues like this IIRC. I would suggest checking the PSU tier list and going with a higher tier PSU: Anything build by seasonic tends to be top notch (note that I said built, not branded. There are a lot of seasonic rebrands out there).
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 Paparrabinho

Paparrabinho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

Thanks!! I have a friend with a different PSU and a hardware config that's close to mine, so i'm gonna ask if he could change with me for a few weeks so I can test it.

#5 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:19 PM

The word on the street is that the Corsair CX series uses cheapo capacitors (hence the price bracket). It's still surprising but as everyone seems to be saying, cheapo caps could mean it wears out sooner. It would be interesting to know how old the PSU is.

#6 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:21 PM

(assuming it's the PSU and not the mobo as has also been implicated)

By the way, everyone's raving about Japanese capacitors. I don't know how being made in a specific country makes it better, but it's something they like to brag about on PSU specs.

Edited by MajesticFailure, 28 May 2016 - 11:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users