Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder suddenly missing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 p7811fx

p7811fx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:00 PM

I have a folder I keep all my important information in and suddenly the folder is gone.  It does not show up in the documents folder anymore.  It was a hidden folder.  I don't know where it went, everything else is fine and where it should be. 

I installed 'everything' and I searched it up and I get an error message when I click on the folder in explorer history in the task bar or when I click on it in 'everything' 

Windows cannot find 'C:\user\script\documents\doc

I tried recuva and I didn't get but maybe a couple files of the many I had in the folder...  What happened? can I get my files back? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:18 PM

Try doing a System Restore.  Choose a restore point prior to the loss of this folder.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:03 PM

Try bringing up Windows explorer, click on C:\user, right-click and click Properties, then click the the Previous versions tab.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:33 PM

In Windows Vista and Windows 7 there was a "Previous Versions" tab on the properties dialog of folders. This could be used to recover a previous version of a file that has since been deleted or changed. This can be an invaluable feature but Microsoft replaced it with the "File History" feature in Windows 8/8.1/10. While File History is good, it doesn't have all the features that Previous Versions did. Alternatively, you can use a third party tool called Shadow Explorer.

Posted Image

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:12 PM

The Previous Versions tab is there in my Windows 10 laptop.  It says "Previous versions come from file history or restore points".   I haven't checked Windows 8.x, but in 10 System Restore is OFF by default so you have to go to the System applet of the Control Panel and turn it on if you want to have it.  Of course the best thing by far is to make regular scheduled full system backups to an external hard drive.  Contrary to what some want to believe, making full system backups will not give you leprosy!    :rolleyes:

Update: I checked 8.1 and System Restore defaults to off there too, but you can turn it on just like in 10.

Edited by Niweg, 11 June 2016 - 01:33 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users