Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow loading icons in downloads folder

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dgreen2298

dgreen2298

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 02:52 PM

Hi guys, I have recently become aware that when i go into my downloads folder the icons seem to take ages to load, but only in that folder. Also when i right click on files in there it takes awhile for my computer to respond. I have tried changing the folder type to general and also documents, but i still get the same problem, the folder has a few items in it but not an obscene amount.

Around this time i thought i had got a virus of some sort because windows defender popped up saying it had found some malware and had removed it but didnt say what it was. I have checked with Malwarebytes, Windows defender, Tdsskiller but all have come back fine.    

My computer is running fine apart from this one folder so was hoping someone might have some ideas on the problem thanks for any help. Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:18 PM

How many files in your downloads folder?  How much RAM do you have?  

I just opened File Explorer and clicked on the Downloads folder, and almost instantly it listed 179 items.  I have an I5 CPU and 8 GB of RAM.  If you either have thousands of files in your downloads folder or don't have enough RAM, that might be the cause.  But since you didn't say what either of these was.  The answers you get are only as good as the info you provide.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:40 PM

Delete icon cache this may resolve the issue download the batch script i have attached to my post. Right click IconCache_Rebuilder.bat batch file and select "Run as administrator" from context menu. Before you run the batch script make sure to save all open files you working on and close all open programs because after running the batch script you will be prompted to restart the computer which you should do so.

[attachment=181016:IconCache_Rebuilder.bat]

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users