Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Giving Out

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wulfgar_117

wulfgar_117

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:06 AM

Hello, i'm pretty sure this one goes in here. I have two 150 gig hard drives, and my primary is giving out(it's just been acting wierd lately) so i want to transfer everything from my primary © to my secondary (f). I just copy and pasted everything to my f, but the file named Windows has an error transferring, saying that something is currently in use. Is there a way to get past this or some other easier way?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:36 AM

Download and burn an image to disk of Digital Dolly 1.0 This drive utility runs from RAM and does not start your drive(s). Use the Drive copy utility. 50Mb download.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:39 AM

Are you intending on transferring everything and then carrying on using your F: as the primary drive (including for the boot sequence)?
If so, post back, because there is a couple of considerations. If not, you can use the Windows backup utility. Windows XP Professional comes with it standard, but Windows XP Home does not install it normally. However, it is still on the disk - do you have the original Windows XP disk (I assume you are using XP)?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 wulfgar_117

wulfgar_117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:31 AM

yes i do plan on making my f drive primary, i'll probably just chunk the c drive when it completely crashes which will be very soon i'm having a really hard time starting up. I do use windows xp home, and i do have the original disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users