Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Data Usage on Remote PC software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hosker

Hosker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:18 AM

Afternoon all,

I am going on Holiday/Business Trip for two weeks and have 12GB of teathered data allowance.

Id love to be able to use some Remote PC software, at very low quality.
To be able to continue to do some work - whilst im sat beside the pool.

Any tips?
I have TightVNC on here, just going to sort some ports out (unless there are other tips).
Im hesitant though - how much data would 2 hours a day (for instance) take up on VNC.

If there is a way to downgrade quality to awful - id be happy with awful - (im literally just reading text and putting X's in boxs (great job right!) but if doing so abroad that would mean downloading large PDFs so I figure VNC may be better data usage).

Im going tomorrow, nothing like good planning :)

Edited by Hosker, 28 May 2016 - 10:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:32 AM

I would use adblocking DNS to save as much data as possible. Also, I work on the road a lot, I used to use teamviewer and stream netflix from my computer at home, via a wireless jetpack access point. So that I would use my home internet rather than the Jetpacks data. I rarely went over my data limit of 30gigs, although 12 gigs is a rather small amount.

Now I have this and shut off the internet when I am on the road. With this I am able to grab a signal from a football field away.

#3 Hosker

Hosker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

Now I have this and shut off the internet when I am on the road. With this I am able to grab a signal from a football field away.

How did I not know this thing existed! Id look a bit odd with that in my Luggage, thanks for the TIP. The Airport is near the Villa - if given enough time id have got one of them as a gift for my host (you know, so he'd offer the place up again :) )

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:55 AM

I hope some of the info provided helps you. :)

I stay in motels for half of the year, with this antenna I am able to stream netflix and youtube videos in full HD,  in places where my laptop will not even connect without it....

#5 Hosker

Hosker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the tip, just ran a test on TeamViewer on Android Phone - on lowest setting and low resolution.
10 minutes of usage was about 2.5MB, so for 1 hours a day would be 15MB. That would be nice, plenty of time with 12GB allowance

Edited by Hosker, 28 May 2016 - 12:00 PM.

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

Glad to have been able to help!! If you purchase one of those antennas you will not regret it. :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users