Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1-800-741-4144 virus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:34 AM

Hi guys, I have a friend that has a older Macbook with the Leopard operating system.  Somehow she wound up with the 1-800-741-4144 popup virus.  She isn't truly computer literate, and I'm not familiar with her operating system.  Her computer was pretty much unresponsive.  I was able to eventually talk her through a force quit which allowed her to shut down the computer and then restart it.  It seems to be functioning properly, but I suspect that I will need to remove any new addons in Safari.  I would appreciate any suggestions regarding cleaning this mess out of her computer.

Dan

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:08 AM

[not needed]

Edited by RolandJS, 28 May 2016 - 10:42 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:35 AM

The information I'm interested is about the virus.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:39 AM

[not needed]

Edited by RolandJS, 28 May 2016 - 10:42 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 01:56 PM

After spending around an hour of searching I found the information I was in need of.  I found an article which explains how to remove this from a computer, and an article for deleting extensions in Safari.  If appears that a copy of Malwarebytes for Mac can remove the malware, and then removing the extension Managehomepage.us in Safari will remove the rest of it.    

Edited by dc3, 28 May 2016 - 01:58 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:38 AM

Update

It looks like this adware can be stopped by doing a Force Quit and restart the computer.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:11 AM

[Found it, Task Manager]

Edited by RolandJS, 02 June 2016 - 10:39 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:03 AM

RolandJS, you need to remember that those who are posting it a topic will see what you initially posted.

A Force Quit is an option in the Apple menu.  This is used to close a unresponsive application, in this case it was Safari.  The adware had locked it up.

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:55 PM

While not directly related, I will note that there are situations where holding the Shift key down while opening Safari can help. I was recently hit with a JavaScript version of this same type of thing. Since I need JavaScript active for some websites, I don't have it turned off. I could quit Safari, but the same "you are infected" window would pop-up each time I restarted Safari. Both my anti-virus (VirusBarrier) and Malwarebytes did not find anything. So, I can to resort to holding the Shift key when starting up Safari. That basically dumbs the cache and all currently open pages (i.e. pages set to reopen on starting Safari again).

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:31 AM

I had read something similar at a Mac website where they were dealing with the same adware.  They resolved this by pressing the shift key and doing a Force Quit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users