Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Possible Trojan: please help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Neil4ad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:12 AM

Hello all,

I'm very glad to have found this forum and am wondering if someone could please help me with possible virus/Trojan issues on my PC.

The computer is running Windows 7 Professional Svc. pack 1.

The installed and up-to-date virus protection program is: Symantec Endpoint v. 12.1.6

Yesterday, when looking at the task manager, I noted that "Loadit.exe" would frequently consume system resources. I traced the file to c:/users/User/Appdata/Local/Roaming and (after ending the task) deleted the file. I also noted that in the directory were two other files: one a text file titled "url.text" and a another html file titled "HOW_TO_RESTORE_YOUR_DATA.html.

This is the interesting bit: the url text file was to a website that I did not recognize. The html was a ransom message (Your files have been encrypted with Cryptowall 3.0, please pay xxxx, etc. etc.) I deleted those files too, but all three kept coming back after a few minutes (loadit.exe; url.txt; HOW_TO_RESTORE_YOUR_DATA.html)

A google search brought me here, and I downloaded both ADW cleaner and Emergency Kit Scanner. Ran both. Both found items to delete including installed software; loadit.exe; and traxxio installer. I had both programs clean/quarantine everything they found. Since then the loadit.exe has not reappeared.

I logged on here to post the log files and to ask what else I should do, but here's the odd bit. Last night, I could read the ADW cleaner logs without problem. Now, when I open the ADW folder, I note that the log files are no longer accessible -- if I look at the files in Explorer, I see the type has changed from text file to Protected file. I also note that in the ADW folder a file has appeared: HOW_TO_RESTORE_YOUR_DATA.html, which is of course the same file that I had earlier found in the APP Data folder.  This led me to be suspicious and,  looking at the list of folders in C:\\ i note that a number of them have change dates of last night. Opening those folders, I see that files here and there have been changed to protected, meaning that the ransomware did take hold at some point. I also see that the HOW_TO_RESTORE file has been copied to all folders with protected files.

The odd thing is that it didn't seem to touch any of my Word files or essential files in documents. This said, a number of files in folders like DRIVERS have been changes to protected.

My questions are:

1)Can I safely assume that I caught the Trojan mid-act and succesfully stopped it?

2)I can't tell if any of the encrypted files are essential. As I suggest, nothing in <My documents> is protected, but files in other folders are. I tried identifying the trojan -- by uploading the HOW_TO_RESTORE_YOUR_DATA and one of the protected files to the Ransomware identify website -- but there was no positive Id. What do I do now? Should I delete all the Proteced files?

For reference I post the EAM clean log below:

Removing detected objects now:
MoveFileOnReboot: sourceFile = "\??\C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\loadit.exe", destinationFile = "(null)", replaceWithDummy = 0
MoveFileOnReboot: sourceFile = "\??\C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\autostarter.exe", destinationFile = "(null)", replaceWithDummy = 0

Edited by Neil4ad, 28 May 2016 - 10:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,739 posts
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:12 PM

You can submit samples of encrypted files and ransom notes to ID Ransomware for assistance with possible identification and confirmation.

Samples of any encrypted files, ransom notes or suspicious executables (installer, malicious files, attachments) that you suspect were involved in causing the infection can be submitted here (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php?channel=168) with a link to this topic. Doing that will be helpful with analyzing and investigating by our crypto experts.

Once we have identified/confirmed which particular ransomware you are dealing with, we can direct you to the appropriate discussion topic for further assistance.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users