Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microphone not working, very strange/not usual problem!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lCaKeSl

lCaKeSl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:17 PM

So I've searched far and wide and as far as I know nobody has had as much trouble trying to get a mic to work. I used to be able to use mics perfectly fine on this machine, I used my Blue Snowball all the time and it worked fine.

My Specs (in case any of this might be causing hardware problems?):

•Windows 8.1

•AMD FX-8320 8-Core Processor 3.5GHz

•GeForce GTX 750

•18GB RAM

•64-bit OS

So the problem I'm having is I can't use ANY mics on my computer, BUT my computer detects them, and says they're all working fine... until I troubleshoot Audio Recording, then it says that my Blue Snowball is disabled. Alright, so I go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Recording, the Blue Snowball is listed at the top as Default Device (keep in mind this has been my default forever; I've been using this mic since I got this computer and it used to work fine), and it says the mic is Enabled (pic1). In fact, I can't even disable it, not even if I go into Properties and use the drop down menu: it's literally stuck on Enabled, but the computer thinks it isn't. I thought: Alright, maybe my levels are just muted or something and everything's fine. So I go Blue Snowball > Properties > Levels, and it's a blank (glitched out?) window with a small border line through it, with no options (pic2). This may be my problem? Even through restarts this doesn't matter.

The biggest problem is this isn't just how my Blue Snowball acts. I've used non-USB mics that are designed as plug-and-play with no drivers necessary and those aren't even detected (even when trying two different Mic ports, one in front and one in back). It's important to note I also tried a multitude of USB ports (I have a lot on my computer), front and back, 2.0 and 3.0, different mics, no difference. Aside from mics, everything else on/in my computer works fine, I have never seen this problem let alone found a solution, so I'm hoping you guys have SOMETHING to suggest!

Thank you very much in advance, have a great day!

~CaKeS

EDIT: My bad! I thought I was posting in the hardware forum! Is there any way for me to transfer this??

Attached Files

Edited by lCaKeSl, 27 May 2016 - 07:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:10 PM

Install latest version of Audio card driver and microphone driver if there is one if not then uninstall the current microphone driver from Device Manager which you can open it by typing Devmgmt.msc into Search charm or Run box. Reconnect the microphone for Windows to install driver for the microphone.

Posted Image

#3 lCaKeSl

lCaKeSl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:27 AM

So I've searched far and wide and as far as I know nobody has had as much trouble trying to get a mic to work. I used to be able to use mics perfectly fine on this machine, I used my Blue Snowball all the time and it worked fine.

My Specs (in case any of this might be causing hardware problems?):

•Windows 8.1

•AMD FX-8320 8-Core Processor 3.5GHz

•GeForce GTX 750

•18GB RAM

•64-bit OS

So the problem I'm having is I can't use ANY mics on my computer, BUT my computer detects them, and says they're all working fine... until I troubleshoot Audio Recording, then it says that my Blue Snowball is disabled. Alright, so I go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Recording, the Blue Snowball is listed at the top as Default Device (keep in mind this has been my default forever; I've been using this mic since I got this computer and it used to work fine), and it says the mic is Enabled (pic1). In fact, I can't even disable it, not even if I go into Properties and use the drop down menu: it's literally stuck on Enabled, but the computer thinks it isn't. I thought: Alright, maybe my levels are just muted or something and everything's fine. So I go Blue Snowball > Properties > Levels, and it's a blank (glitched out?) window with a small border line through it, with no options (pic2). This may be my problem? Even through restarts this doesn't matter.

The biggest problem is this isn't just how my Blue Snowball acts. I've used non-USB mics that are designed as plug-and-play with no drivers necessary and those aren't even detected (even when trying two different Mic ports, one in front and one in back). It's important to note I also tried a multitude of USB ports (I have a lot on my computer), front and back, 2.0 and 3.0, different mics, no difference. Aside from mics, everything else on/in my computer works fine, I have never seen this problem let alone found a solution, so I'm hoping you guys have SOMETHING to suggest!

Thank you very much in advance, have a great day!

~CaKeS

EDIT: My bad! I thought I was posting in the hardware forum! Is there any way for me to transfer this??

How would I go about installing sound card driver/find what sound card I have?? Sound cards are the one thing related to computers I've never learned about.

And I did all the driver stuff with the Blue Snowball to get it to work on Win8, so where it is now it SHOULD be working, it's gotta be the sound card, right?

#4 lCaKeSl

lCaKeSl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

So I uninstalled and reinstalled what I believe to be my sound card driver in device manager (under Sound, it's called "VIA High Definition Audio"), and now my computer has no sound at all, yet it'll show the levels if you pull up the mixer. Yes I did restart. 

So now on top of no microphones working, I don't even have sound.

EDIT: I found the problem with no sound at all, my computer is using my primary screen (a TV connected through HDMI) as the default audio output, BUT it won't let me make the speakers default audio by right clicking > Set as Default, since it seems basically all audio control windows are glitched out on my machine. So now I'm forced to listen through my bleepty TV speakers rather than my nice sound system. And no matter how many times I try, I cannot disable the TV sound, or set the Speakers to Default.

EDIT: I SOLVED EVERYTHING. Once I updated to Windows 10 every single thing started working fine and now I sorted out the default device, sound card driver, mics, and everything in between!

Edited by lCaKeSl, 28 May 2016 - 06:32 PM.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:22 PM

Nice to hear your issue has been resolved!

The Only Safe Way to Update Your Hardware Drivers on Windows

Edited by FreeBooter, 29 May 2016 - 09:22 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users