Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nearly All Services in Win 10 are turned off

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 warcat

warcat

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:51 PM

Hello,

I am working on a computer that was upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. It has been working fine for several months, but yesterday the computer restarted with no warning two times,seemingly on its own. I got a BSOD with a "Service Exception Error (NTFS.sys)" message. Three hours later, it was displaying the same message, and there was not apparent disk activity so I did a hard restart. Now virtually all of the services are stopped and cannot be restarted. I am submitting this post from a different computer because the one in question cannot get on the Internet, and cannot find any network adapters through which it can connect. I checked in device manager, and it reports that all network adapters are working just fine.

I can get the contextual menu by right clicking on the Windows logo, but nothing happens when I left click on the windows logo.

I hope someone can help me. Here are the particulars on this computer. I had to get them from the BIOS because they were not appearing in system info:

HP Pavilion HPE h8-1210

Processor: AMD FX-6100 six core processor, 3300 Mhz

Processor Stepping: 600F12

Memory: 10240 Mb DDR3, 1333 Mhz, dual channel

Storage: SATA0 Hard Drive 1500.3 Gb, ST1500DL003-9VT16L; SATA1 hp CDDVDW TS-H653TN

I uninstalled AVG because its firewall would not allow any changes to the settings. Regular Windows uninstall would not do it. I had to use AVG's removal tool. I tried to do a repair with a USB stick that has windows 10 on it, but the repair option I tried told me the hard drive was locked and to unlock it and try again. Be nice if it would tell me how to unlock the drive!

I can do some limited things, but not much. Any help would be most appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:06 PM

Have you considered either:

1.  Doing a restore from a restore point prior to the meltdown?

2.  If #1 does not work or is not possible, triggering a Reset install from within Windows 10 itself and seeing if that might work?

3.  #2 after doing #1 just to get a clean install of Win10?

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 warcat

warcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:58 PM

Hi Brian, I was to avoid doing a clean install of Win10, but it looks like that is the only alternative. I tried #1 and #2, but there appears to be an issue with the shadow volume service that is supposed to do this, so it looks like the only thing to do is a clean install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users