Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LXLE - major problems - Help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#1 Habesque

Habesque

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:25 PM

I installed LXLE 12.04 a few months ago on a dual boot and now I am having major problems I have no idea how to solve.

The problems consist of, sometimes when starting it tells me I am disconnected from the internet of which a reboot or two usually fixes and at other times everything loads fine for it to tell me my desktop is invalid where that issue sometimes occurs with other files as well. But the most annoying issue is it appears not to get on with Youtube of which I use a lot, where what happens with that is videos play and then freeze after a period of time, the image stops moving and sound stops and of course you can't close the tab or the browser without hammering on the ' X ' for a period of time where a box pops up to say ' Seamonkey ' isn't responding and do I want to send the signal to terminate - of which is the only way out of the browser. Seamonkey closed everything is fine and can start Seamonkey again and go back to what I was doing but playing videos causes it all to happen again, where I get this idea it's a memory problem and a problem of which is relatively new as I didn't have this problem when I first installed LXLE.

It also happens  in Firefox, so am inclined to think it's an LXLE problem.

Now the computer LXLE is loaded on is a Dell Inspiron 1501 (2x AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53) with the maximum RAM for the machine - 2GB of which is not a lot these days I know but I was under the impression LXLE would perform with older computers and it did to start with, where I chose LXLE as it boasted it worked out of the box with the Broadcom wireless card and it does, in fact I quite like LXLE apart from these issues of which if I can't solve, well I am looking around for something less resource hungry that will work with the Broadcom wireless card.

But I have run the computers system diagnostics and everything checks out fine so the problem it seems is LXLE.(Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS)

Any ideas ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:08 PM

Maybe a stupid question, but are you keeping up on Updates, and are they all coming in properly.

http://wiki.lxle.net/doku.php/updates

I'll boot mine as soon as possible and see if I'm having issues also, it's been a while.  I think this would be a good time to rethink Mint Xfce 17.1, or even Mate, I'll have to look at your specs again.  Here we go:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577790/lxle-no-video/#entry3720532 

CPU Specification : ( AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor TK-53 )  We don't need all that much RAM for Mate, or Xfce, and you will get tons of support with them.  So this will be a good cpu to run these on, I wouldn't run 12.04 Unless needed but LXLE is quite nice for your purposes, accommodating the wireless.  Be patient and let's see what folks will come up with for your issues and I will take a look at your distro options.

I think that Mint will present you with the drivers you need for the wireless if you have Ethernet connection.  Why don't you boot it up again to see what it says in Driver Manager.  Don't click to search for drivers, just look at it, write down and report back.  Use ONLY 17.1! not .2 or .3  Mate is better but Xfce might be a little faster?

pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 27 May 2016 - 06:49 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:40 PM

Yes, I like Mint, I have just booted it off another dual boot windows machine, pending a bigger hard drive - I need to keep windows for Adobe CS5 as I really don't get on with Gimp and I am running old computers, all of them a bit flaky - nothing younger than eight years old.

But I chose LXLE after reading about other's problems with that Broadcom wireless card and did mean to install Mint at some point, but sort of settled in with LXLE where of course, human laziness and all that.

But LXLE updates, yes I accessed them and think I installed as, I don't know, the update and install system in LXLE I found confusing - Mint is easier to understand.

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:00 PM

If your wifi connection becomes disconnected, try running this command in a terminal:
sudo service network-manager stop
then:
sudo service network-manager start

Alternatively, try
sudo service network-manager restart
...although I always had more luck running the first two commands.

Re the other issue, try leaving top open in a terminal in another desktop/workspace (open a terminal and type top). Top shows the top running processes, cpu usage, RAM and swap usage, and updates every three seconds by default. Next time SeaMonkey or Firefox starts slowing down when you're playing a video on youtube, instead of closing Firefox, switch to the other desktop and see whether RAM or CPU usage is maxing out.

Edited by Al1000, 27 May 2016 - 07:04 PM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,100 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:08 PM

Off Topic, removed post. 

Edited by pcpunk, 27 May 2016 - 07:28 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,975 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:12 PM

I suggested booting Mint

:offtopic:

Please stay on topic, which concerns LXLE.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

I suggested booting Mint from the LXLE pc with Ethernet to see if drivers are available, did you understand that?

No I do not understand this at all, how is booting Mint going to solve anything?

Stop confusing the issue and stay ON topic. If you do not now the answer DO NOT BOTHER TO REPLY.

#8 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:29 PM

If your wifi connection becomes disconnected, try running this command in a terminal:

sudo service network-manager stop
then:
sudo service network-manager start

Alternatively, try
sudo service network-manager restart
...although I always had more luck running the first two commands.

Re the other issue, try leaving top open in a terminal in another desktop/workspace (open a terminal and type top). Top shows the top running processes, cpu usage, RAM and swap usage, and updates every three seconds by default. Next time SeaMonkey or Firefox starts slowing down when you're playing a video on youtube, instead of closing Firefox, switch to the other desktop and see whether RAM or CPU usage is maxing out.

No issues with wireless today and oddly no issues with Youtube where this time as you suggested I have the terminal open on the other desktop with ' top ' open, where watching that all I see is a high demand on the CPU sometimes running to over 100% - highest I saw was 106%, but memory use was not as high as I expected.

Prior to using 'top' in the terminal I was using the task manager where that indicated low CPU but, well just about the maximum ram giving rise to me thinking the issue was a memory problem.

But what's changed, what have I done for the system to suddenly be behaving, well, nothing as the software update didn't work. But it is I usually watch video late at night/ early morning after the computer has been on most of the day, I will see what happens later as this is very perplexing.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,100 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:22 PM

But LXLE updates, yes I accessed them and think I installed as, I don't know, the update and install system in LXLE I found confusing - Mint is easier to understand.

Did you follow the directions I left in the first link to Update, you will know if it is Updating.  The Update Manager Dialogue will present itself and you will see the "Progress Bar" downloading and installing the Updates.  Maybe this is an issue because your Adapter is not working well, can you connect to Ethernet for the Updates?  It's not clear to me if this was done correctly yet.

But what's changed, what have I done for the system to suddenly be behaving, well, nothing as the software update didn't work.

Maybe you did get some Updates installed and didn't know it.  Why don't you try it again, this sometimes fixes things.  I've had issues with Updates in LXLE also.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:34 PM

Open terminal and type or copy and paste.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade 

#11 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:14 PM

Did you follow the directions I left in the first link to Update, you will know if it is Updating.  The Update Manager Dialogue will present itself and you will see the "Progress Bar" downloading and installing the Updates.  Maybe this is an issue because your Adapter is not working well, can you connect to Ethernet for the Updates?  It's not clear to me if this was done correctly yet.

But what's changed, what have I done for the system to suddenly be behaving, well, nothing as the software update didn't work.

Maybe you did get some Updates installed and didn't know it.  Why don't you try it again, this sometimes fixes things.  I've had issues with Updates in LXLE also.

Yes I followed the directions in the link, hit the button for ' check all ' but nothing was checked by the action despite updates being available, so for the fun of it I hit ' apply updates ' to be presented with ' no updates selected '

And the problem that brought me her re-occurred last night where at least I had ROXterm open of which I took to be the terminal on LXLE and recorded what was occurring where no it doesn't appear to be the memory or the CPU but I did as I normally do when such happens, closed the totally blank (grey) window by repeatedly stabbing the ' X' until the box ' Seamonkey not responding do you wish to send the terminate signal ' came up for me to close the browser and then restart it restoring the last session to move forward in the video to where I was to watch again for the same to occur at the same browser time and again and again, recording copying ROXterm each time - same conditions.

One thing that did perplex me was why was ROXterm recording 2 users to which I wondered if this problem is related to a security breach.

But this morning LXLE was a pig to start where appeared video wasn't working as all I got was a few coloured vertical lines instead of the LXLE Be open be free splash screen, meaning I couldn't log in, so hard stop with the power button and try again, took about twenty minutes for me to get the LXLE splash screen so I could log in only to be presented with a box to say by desktop isn't valid again.

And LXLE was been slow and draggy all day

But the ROXterm report ;

top - 03:12:59 up 4:17, 2 users, load average: 0.04, 0.89, 1.33

Tasks: 133 total, 1 running, 132 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

Cpu(s): 3.3%us, 1.3%sy, 0.0%ni, 95.3%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0

Mem: 1930628k total, 1415112k used, 515516k free, 135272k buffers

Swap: 0k total, 0k used, 0k free, 781080k cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND

4686 kaye 20 0 55140 13m 9824 S 3 0.7 0:25.91 roxterm

1411 root 20 0 77096 27m 8404 S 3 1.5 11:24.03 Xorg

2294 kaye 20 0 67828 4920 3236 S 2 0.3 5:28.41 conky

2417 kaye 20 0 1342m 396m 62m S 1 21.0 112:40.24 seamonkey

4705 kaye 20 0 2844 1112 848 R 0 0.1 1:00.52 top

1 root 20 0 3660 2092 1276 S 0 0.1 0:01.00 init

2 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.01 kthreadd

3 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:02.72 ksoftirqd/0

6 root RT 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.12 migration/0

8 root RT 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.11 migration/1

10 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:02.58 ksoftirqd/1

13 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 cpuset

14 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 khelper

15 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 kdevtmpfs

16 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 netns

If you can make any sense of that.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,100 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:21 PM

Look at the link again and follow it exactly.  What you have said isn't all the steps required, are you doing it properly, we need to know this first.

You can use NickAu's directions also if you like.  I have even just Clicked on the Update Manager Icon and get Updates that way but it is suggested to do it the way in that Wiki link.

Edited by pcpunk, 29 May 2016 - 02:33 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,975 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:41 PM

One thing that did perplex me was why was ROXterm recording 2 users to which I wondered if this problem is related to a security breach.

That's because you had a terminal open running top. Each new terminal window counts as another user. Open an additional terminal window and you'll see the number of users increase to 3.

But the ROXterm report ;

That all looks ok, except 133 tasks seems quite a lot. I am currently using LXLE and have 109 tasks running. You can disable stuff from starting automatically if you don't use it, such as bluetooth. Under Preferences --> Desktop Session Settings --> Automatically Started Applications, the only boxes I have checked are:

Policy Authentication Agent
Zeitgeist Datahub
PulseAudio Sound System
Systemback schedule daemon

Too many unnecessary processes might be slowing it down. Does the partition LXLE is on have plenty of space left? Have you deleted cookies etc from your internet browser recently?

Edited by Al1000, 29 May 2016 - 04:45 PM.

#14 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:03 PM

Look at the link again and follow it exactly.  What you have said isn't all the steps required, are you doing it properly, we need to know this first.

You can use NickAu's directions also if you like.  I have even just Clicked on the Update Manager Icon and get Updates that way but it is suggested to do it the way in that Wiki link.

Yep, exactly as in the wiki link, nothing is marked and so apply doesn't work

But for last two hours I have been going through that list  ticking everything that will reinstall and it's just told me it's downloaded 1500 odd packages over thirty minutes, whether they installed I don't know, I guess a restart is the next job to see of anything has changed

#15 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:11 PM

That's because you had a terminal open running top. Each new terminal window counts as another user. Open an additional terminal window and you'll see the number of users increase to 3.

But the ROXterm report ;

That all looks ok, except 133 tasks seems quite a lot. I am currently using LXLE and have 109 tasks running. You can disable stuff from starting automatically if you don't use it, such as bluetooth. Under Preferences --> Desktop Session Settings --> Automatically Started Applications, the only boxes I have checked are:

Policy Authentication Agent
Zeitgeist Datahub
PulseAudio Sound System
Systemback schedule daemon

Too many unnecessary processes might be slowing it down. Does the partition LXLE is on have plenty of space left? Have you deleted cookies etc from your internet browser recently?

Thanks re. users

And tasks, checking Desktop Settings, I have five auto start applications, your four and ' check for new Hardware Drivers ' activated.

And the partition LXLE is on is 40gb with 29gb free and running Bleachbit frees up a lot of space, I was surprised.......

But I use this computer running LXLE mostly for internet only for I use a Macbook for my work and keep that one largely off the net and the desktop is really a back up computer that will do both work and net but I hardly start that one.

But I ran the Terminal commands NickAu suggested and presumably all that followed were updates where I presume LXLE is updated now, so I will see what happens and report back but a restart didn't elicit any problems, so maybe.

Oh and the puter seems to be running a bit quicker.

But thanks all for your help so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users