Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder Redirection GPO Windows Server 2012 R2

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cammern

Cammern

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:27 PM

Part 1

TLDR: Norwegian tech student asking advice about her plan for the final exam. Skip part 1 for question about Folder Redirection GPO Windows Server 2012 R2.

So first off I am a IT student from Norway, currently on my last few months of a two year work internship. In Norway we have alternative school you could say, that is more practical and related to work. Where you study two years and then work for two, then you do a exam to get a "degree" you could say. That or you do three years of theoretical school, which allow you to study anything at college or university level, and not that one subject you've done practical school and work inside.

In two weeks I have been preparing for my final exam that last 5 days. They way it works, you get the exam first day and have to write a plan for how you are going to solve the exam, then the three next days you have to follow the set plan, and last day you present it. And then you get graded with fail/pass/well done, obviously last is the best. 

I don't know exactly what the exam is going to be, as it is specially created based on what you have been working as the two years. But from the other interns that I've been working with I do have a pretty good idea what I am facing. A big part of the exam is documenting everything in detail, but not to much, and to a point that you can show you know the subject. If you can document and explain everything, it won't matter if the actual stuff you set up works or not, people have managed to get well done even when the systems failed, because they could explain in detail what went wrong, fix it and how they set everything up and why.

Now I have decided to do everything in Hyper-V, because in my two years I have worked a lot with virtual servers and applications, mostly Citrix based, but some VMware and Hyper-V. As well as I am studying to take the Server 2012 R2 exam, two birds one stone (isn't that what you English folks say?). So in preparation I have set up two servers and one client in Hyper-V and for the networking part some colleagues of mine in Networking are going to teach me how to set up a VLAN inside our business network, where I can configure router, swtiches and what else they might throw at me without ruining our business network.

So far I've set up a server for domain controller, DHCP, DNS and such. One that is set up as print server, and of course a client computer to log on and test everything as a end-user.

I have documented everything so far, I also created a .vbs script for adding printers and setting them as default. Plan is to create a custom start-menu where this folder will be available for end-users to add network printers. And much more to come. That way I am prepared for possible things that could go wrong, and I don't forget stuff under all the stress.

Following you will find some questions.

1. What do you think about doing it all virtual, unlike most who do it with one server and two laptops?

2. Do you have any suggestions on what I could add in my preparation in this little virtual environment I've created?

3. Would running Office 365 as mail and sharing solution be a dumb idea, or should I try my way with Exchange? What would be more impressing and fitting with the idea?

Part 2

Now to the main reason I decided to ask for help, before I realized it might be a good idea to write a wall-of-text in hope for response to better my preparation for my exam.

I have like mention set up a few things already. I am wondering if I should create another server for files and data, but as of now my domain controller works as a "file server" as well.

With a separate partition for shared folders, I have created a Home folder directory. On my test user I have mapped this as H:\ on the end-users side, as you see in the picture below.

Attached File  2016-05-27_16-04-03.png   14.8KB   0 downloads

In AD I have created a OU that cointains three more OU's which are Computers, Groups and Users.

In Group Policy Manager I have greated a GPO on the Users OU's named Folder Redirection with the following settings.

User Configuration > Windows Settings > Folder Redirection > Documents

Attached File  2016-05-27_16-03-20.png   82.92KB   0 downloads

And I have set Videos, Music and Pictures to follow the Documents folder.

Everything is working as intended, and the end-user can see the Home folder, as seen in the picture below.

Attached File  2016-05-27_16-03-12.png   74.99KB   0 downloads

However on the server all the home folders are renamed to Documents rather than usernames, and if I change it, it changes for the end-user as well. I created a folder to illustrate how I actually want it to look.

Attached File  2016-05-27_16-03-27.png   42.49KB   0 downloads

Now question time again!

1. How can I best make it so the folders are not renamed on the server, and keep the username as name and not Documents? Is it because of the share settings on the root folder?

2. Is it possible and if so how, to make it so Documents and all other folders are sub-folders of the home directory, and not that Documents become the home directory?

Thanks for all who lasted this long, and thanks in advanced for any suggestions and help that may provide!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:28 PM

For the folders all renaming themselves to "documents" see here http://serverfault.com/questions/566279/shared-home-folders-on-file-server-listed-as-my-documents

You can delete the desktop.ini to fix that or simply add another subfolder on the server.

Normally you create the home folder on the server like this c:\home\david and redirect the computer to this, but the server will rename it to documents. If you add another subfolder on the server like this c:\home\david\documents and redirect your computer to the subfolder then the name of david will remain.

Sorry I can't help with the rest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users