Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A learning experience

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 careingemt

careingemt

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:11 PM

Hello,

I inherited a windows Vista desktop from my mom which I think may have a virus on it. I can not get it to connect to my home network via Cat 5 I've  tried a Static IP.  I'm interested in maybe purchasing windows 10 from Best Buy,  for $120.00 (some extra money I have laying around from my birthday and other holidays) I was thinking it may be a good learning experience. putting windows 10 on it? It does meet the windows 10 requirments

Please offer your thoughts or opinion's

Thanks

Fran

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:40 PM

Win 7, which replaced Vista, was launched in the Autumn of 2009 so this computer is getting on for at least seven years old which is a factor you should consider. Also by how much does it meet the minimum requirements for Win 10 ?  According to MS the minima are a 1GHz processor and 1GB of RAM, MS has always taken an optimistic view of 'minimum requirements'. I recently had my hands on a notebook with Win 10 and that met these minimum requirements - would you believe 10 minutes to boot and five minutes to open Firefox ?

Realistically you need about a 2GHz processor and at least 2GB of RAM, 4 is better.

What makes you think the computer is suffering malware ?  Very few forms of malware knock out internet connections, they want to phone home. Have you checked device manager to see if it shows any hardware problems, particularly with network adaptors ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 careingemt

careingemt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:18 AM

update

My dad said i could have his instead... it's OS is XP.....  It has better hardware, I don't remember what's on it but I do know it's a better pc. Which one should i choose?

I'm leaning towards my dad's cause of hardware.

To answer suffering malware .... After the boot up completes and icons are on desktop... the cmd window appears for about 5 seconds then disappears....

No i have not checked device manager. When i try fix (repair) connection there are no problems? When i hook my laptop to cat 5 it connects with no issue's 

Thanks

Fran

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:40 PM

A difficult choice indeed - newer with poorer specs or older with better specs !  If you opt for your dad's one I would certainly do something about the OS since there has been no support for XP for the last two years. If you are merely looking for a learning experience you might want to consider giving Linux a try. I finished up putting Mint 17.3 on to the notebook I mentioned above. I had a topic about it running in the Linux section, you might find it useful to have a look at this -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/604704/samsung-notebook-np-n140-and-linux/

If you opt for the computer with Vista and still believe there is a malware problem with it then you should start a topic in the section 'Am I infected ?', but read the guides at the head of the section first - this is not the correct section for dealing with malware problems.

Your cable connection problem. There are three possible areas of cause: The cable or socket may be faulty; the drivers may need to be re-installed - go to the mobo maker's web-site for these; or the chips responsible for ethernet may have failed - this would mean a mobo replacement. Again, the best thing for you to do is to start a topic in the 'Internal hardware' section of BC on this. This section - the Vista section - is meant primarily for problems with Vista itself.

I wish you the best of luck with this project, do post back and let us know what your decision is.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 careingemt

careingemt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:41 PM

Hello,

Sorry about posting in vista about xp. I was updating status.

I think I'll go with xp. I know nothing about Linux. I'll post in xp about what to do about OS
Thanks for reply

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:51 PM

No problem at all. BC is about trying to solve problems for people but it is easier - and you are more likely to get better informed replies - if you post in the most appropriate section. However one of the jobs of moderators is to move topics to where they are best suited.

I know nothing about Linux.

It's not that I'm an evangelist for Linux, although I have more or less decided that I am going to go over to it as my primary OS, but you did say you were looking for a learning experience didn't you ?

Chris Cosgrove

#7 careingemt

careingemt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:16 AM

Yes I do want a learning experience, that could be fresh install of new OS. At least I know the very basics about windows (I taught myself how to share my pc's 😃) Not that I'm against Linux but for me that would be starting from scratch. I hope to soon start IT school and taking a brand new pc language would be a bit much right now. I'm hopeing Eventghost is supported on xp or hopefully I can put win 10 on dad's pc.

Edited by careingemt, 30 May 2016 - 07:18 AM.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:23 PM

Best wishes for IT school.

This is not the area of BC to have a discussion on this subject but I feel I must correct a misunderstanding on your part. Linux, in all its forms, is not a new language, it is merely a different operating system. And since Linux, and its fairly close relative UNIX, is used in a lot of back room systems some knowledge of it will be useful to you in the future.

But, as I said, all the best for your future.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 careingemt

careingemt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for my best wishes, I hope it goes well for me...I understand this is not the place for a Linux discussion I'm only responding back. Ok, I was under the impression Linux had its own Language. Mabye in the future I might find someone who could help me learn Linux (you) I know nothing about Linux OS..

Thanks

Fran 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users