Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Woes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dimestoretiamat

dimestoretiamat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

I am having some problems getting my hard drive cloned. I have two hard drives, let's call them A and B. A is a hard drive that I have had for about 6 years and is starting to show it's age. My friend gave me B, a gently used one. Both drives are the same size, 1 terabyte. My original plan was to make a disk image of A onto an external drive I have which is 2 TB. I would then take this image and slap it onto B. After a few tries, the disk image was set up. However, once I swap the two drives I get a blue screen telling me that it can't start. I have tried plugging them both into the same system, but I get the same result. What can I do to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:09 PM

What's the exact error message that you get?

#3 dimestoretiamat

dimestoretiamat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:15 PM

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6-t4PA1i16Y/maxresdefault.jpg

Basically this. I think it may have said that that file was missing rather then expired.

#4 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:30 PM

Oh you're on Windows 10. Someone else will need to assist you as I have very little knowledge of Windows 10

#5 dimestoretiamat

dimestoretiamat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:31 PM

Actually I am on Windows 7

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:54 PM

That is a Windows 10 screen. Did you wipe the drive your friend gave you before attempting to restore the image? Just to confirm, your plan was to create a complete disk image to an external drive. Boot the recovery disk of the imaging software and restore the image to the new drive, correct? 

I am wondering if your friend had Windows 10 on this drive. That is why I am suggesting you do a complete wipe on the hard drive first. Then try the image restore.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 May 2016 - 01:54 PM.

#7 dimestoretiamat

dimestoretiamat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:12 PM

Alright, that sounds like a plan. How would I wipe it if I can't get past that screen?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

Download the bootable version of Partition Wizard and burn the iso to disk. Boot the disk and do a zero wipe quick on the disk.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/wipe-disk.html

#9 dimestoretiamat

dimestoretiamat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:36 PM

I have just tried using the boot disk to try and wipe the drive. Even with the internal hard drive set to the lowest boot setting, it always boots first. I ran into the same problem with both drives in. It looks like I am just going to have to buy a new hard drive as my friends just doesn't seem to want to work.

#10 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:51 PM

You need something bootable which will let you restore the image or you could just put the original drive back, hook up "B", and restore the image (not copy it) from the external. I also hope the image is of the physical device, not the "C" drive. The drive has other partitions on it that you need for it to work!
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:53 PM

What is the make of computer? You can try using Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive. Depending on the model of computer there would be a key press to bring up a boot menu where you can select the boot device.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Edit: What program did you use to image your drive to the external?

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 May 2016 - 04:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users